Highlighted
dgruwier
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

wind noise in 700

Turns out wind noise is an issue in the Bose 700. That is the uncomfortable scratchy rumbling sound of wind being picked up by the noise cancelling microphones. This happens a lot outside, even in calm weather.

This is kind of disappointing as the very same issue was already fixed in the QC35 with a firmware update, with a “low” NC setting specifically optimized to prevent wind noise. As such, I was expecting the 700 to be able to handle it out of the box. They do have adjustable NC levels, but even the lowest setting still uses the external mics to do that pass through thing, so wind noise is a problem at all NC levels. To be sure it’s not as big an issue as the QC35 used to be, but it’s still there.

Can we please get a ”windy” mode that we can enable using the custom hot key, or set as one of the options the NC button cycles through? One that either has been optimized like the QC35 were, OR at the very least simply disables all the external microphones entirely?

36 REPLIES 36

Re: wind noise in 700

Hello dgruwier, 

Welcome to the Bose Community and thank you for submitting your first post. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. I can totally empathize with this situation and can only imagine how frustrated you must feel. 

With that being said, I will pass along your comments to our development team. We really appreciate your feedback as this allows us to continuously develop our products for our user's needs. 

Do get back to me if you have any questions. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

depadre
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

I know, this seems to be a company problem regarding communication when thinking about how the implementation of airplay 2 on the soundtouch devices was handled but can we get an eta on this issue? For me this would be a reason to bring the headphones back to the store.

Hi depadre,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I wouldn't be able to advise a turn around time for this feature as I don't have access to this information. I am sorry that I wasn't able to provide you with an eta for this.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

cesarv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

There's a bigger issue with the QuietComfort 35 series where ANC was basically killed with firmware updates, and Bose hasn't even acknowledged this problem. Don't get your hopes up that they will offer you an ETA or even a solution to this.

I too have noticed these new Bose NCH 700 have some sort of issue with the wind, which is very disappointing taking into account the 35s used to do an amazing job at it. I suspect part of the problem is the slight change in design of the earcups; in my opinion, they don't sit properly tight and thus do not cover your ears all the way. Also, the cushions' texture is the same as the Sony 1000xm3's and the issue seems to be basically the same.

I'm currently testing my 700s, and I might end up returning them (I have like 26 days to do it). Such a high price for these design and funcionality flaws is an insult.

bx
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

This is also a big issue for me.

Even when turning NC off there is no way to use the headphones while riding a bike or even using them outside when it is windy.

There really needs to be a mode like the low settting of the 35 QC II

Rgaufman
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Any solution to this? I’m thinking to return my Bose 700 and get the QC35 which didn’t have this problem 😞

runn3rshigh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 5, 2018

I am disappointed that this wasn't included on the 700s. It seems like a step backwards. I returned my Sony headphones because they couldn't handle wind noise like my QC35s can.  This is one of the features I appreciate most about the QC35s and set them apart from the other NC headphones out there.

ted@mtrotter.com
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

I can only agree. I was really happy with my QC35 ii, and thought this would be an upgrade. But really... impossible to use when there is wind, and that is a very common use case for me. When sitting on the bike, and the noise augmentation (which I'd call it) hits in, it is a very painful experience. Hopefully I'll be able to return this product. Unless Bose can communicate a fix immediately and deliver it within reasonable time, I think it would be wise to hold further sales, not to destroy the Bose brand.

Vitrilo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

NCH700 Wind Noise

I've just got the NCH 700s and although they are great indoors, they are almost unusable outdoors. My QC35II's have a setting for use outside that removes all wind noises, the NCH700s do not. Is there going to be a fix for this? If not I'll have to unfortunately get rid of them