Highlighted
dbschwartz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 10, 2019

A20 Issue Hearing My Own Voice During Transmission

I’m a new pilot and have been using (and loving) my A20’s for about 6 months.  On a return flight yesterday my ability to hear myself when transmitting suddenly failed for the trip home.  ATC heard my transmissions, I heard them, but couldn’t hear myself speaking as I usually do.  Would appreciate any pointers as to what I may have turned off on headset, batteries, etc....flying a 2018 Cirrus SR22T with Garmin Perspective+.  I did reseat headset cable and when restarting I momentarily heard noise through mic then it went away.  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: A20 Issue Hearing My Own Voice During Transmission

Are you sure you didn't turn off something on your aircraft intercom system or maybe turned the squelch down?

dbschwartz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 10, 2019

I most probably did.  I’m going to go through the Bose manual and Garmin instructions step-by-step but was hoping someone might give a “Hey Knucklehead” reply to my post!

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I'm more inclined to think it has to do with your intercom selection or squelch, not the Bose A20.

Hello dbschwartz,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Aviation Community. 

It's great to hear that you are enjoying using your A20 headset but I am sorry that you have come across this recent issue during a flight. 

Since this has happened, have you had a chance to test your headset in another aircraft?

Do you have access to another headset to test in the same aircraft where you experienced this?

As air traffic control are able to hear you, this means the mic and signal path is good. Also, as you can hear air traffic control we know that the drivers in your earcups are working. Therefore, it is possible that this is down to a setting in the intercome that may have been unintentionally adjusted. This, in particular, is called "sidetone" so maybe there's a sidetone setting in your intercom that can be altered. 

I hope this information is helpful! Once you have done some testing, please feel free to get back to us and let us know how you got on.

Warm regards,

Jeff G - Community Support

dbschwartz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 10, 2019

Thx Jeff...from a few replies I suspect you’re correct, that it’s an intercom problem.  Heading out to fly later this morning and one way or another I’ll figure it out!

Thank you for your reply, dbschwartz.

If you need any further support, do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G