Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

A20 Mircrophone Problems

I own two A20 headsets, one for me and one for my students. The microphone on the one I use personally has been degrading and recently quit working. I called Bose customer support and it will cost "only" $250 (or so) and take "only" four weeks (or so) to repair. Since I use this headset almost daily, I took it apart and concluded the source of my problem (and others who have had mic noise problems) is what I would consider a design issue. There is a single shielded wire from the boom mic into the headset but the boom mic is free to rotate fully. As I am taking the headset out of the bag and replacing it back in, the boom mic must sometime rotate 360 degrees and eventually the wire twisted until it broke. I'm not so happy but I'll order the parts and fix it myself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: A20 Microphone Problems

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Hector_B

Hi there Iapetus, thank you for your recent post and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you've had here with your A20 headset, and that you're unhappy with the service options offered to you. I would be happy to advise here 😊.

Within the headset, there are stops in the boom joint to prevent the Mic boom from over-rotating, which would normally prevent the issue that you have described here. If these stops are damaged, this could allow the boom mic to be manipulated in such a manner that allows it to rotate freely and may result in what you have experienced here.

You are more than welcome to purchase a replacement down cable, which would likely resolve this issue, however we do not stock the parts for the mic separately. Any attempt to replace this mic manually would void the product and mean that we would not be able to work on this headset in the future.

I understand completely that you don't want to be without your product for any period of time! The phone support team in your region will have the most accurate information regarding turn-around times, and I would advise that you get back in touch with them if you wish to discuss time-frames further. 

Please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Of course, this is a microphone problem

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Hector_B

Hi there Iapetus, thank you for your recent post and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you've had here with your A20 headset, and that you're unhappy with the service options offered to you. I would be happy to advise here 😊.

Within the headset, there are stops in the boom joint to prevent the Mic boom from over-rotating, which would normally prevent the issue that you have described here. If these stops are damaged, this could allow the boom mic to be manipulated in such a manner that allows it to rotate freely and may result in what you have experienced here.

You are more than welcome to purchase a replacement down cable, which would likely resolve this issue, however we do not stock the parts for the mic separately. Any attempt to replace this mic manually would void the product and mean that we would not be able to work on this headset in the future.

I understand completely that you don't want to be without your product for any period of time! The phone support team in your region will have the most accurate information regarding turn-around times, and I would advise that you get back in touch with them if you wish to discuss time-frames further. 

Please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post