Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

A20 Noise Cancelling turns off immediately

I have an almost new A20 headphone set. It worked fine for 2 months, but yesterday the noise cancelling feature began turning off after a few seconds. New batteries make no difference, and switching the Auto-Off switch to "off" makes no difference.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: A20 Noise Cancelling turns off immediately

Hi RV7Flyer, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your A20 headset. Let's see what I can recommend.

I can see you have changed the batteries, this is a great first step to the troubleshooting. Can you tell me if you get any LEDs on your control module? Do you have another headset (maybe at work or friend?) which you could try the cable in?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

I get an orange power-on light, then green for a moment before it turns itself off. I do not know what you mean by trying my cord with another headset....  the cords on my headset do not seem to be removable except by removing some  screws, which I am sure would void their warranty.

Highlighted

Hi RV7Flyer, 

Thank you for coming back to me! 

Does the headset work in other aircraft? 

The cable is removable and will not void your warranty. But, if you do not feel comfortable removing it, that's absolutely fine! I would recommend getting in contact with our aviation team by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. The team will do all they can for you! 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out again! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

I have had the same problem for over a year now. My A20 worked fine for several years when the cord started to fray at the control module. I ordered a new cord/control module, but soon noticed the noise cancelling would cut out at (usually) random intervals, but at least several minutes apart. I returned the cord and module and was given a replacement...but it does the same thing. I've tried several types of batteries to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks!

MR

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Hi RV7Flyer and mriou,

A couple of things for you. Assume the Headsets are Duel Plug G/A? If so, then the Headset is powered by Battery alone. It shouldn't turn off if you have completed the fault finding as RV7Flyer has suggested. Best to contact Bose and send it in for repair - the Warranty is 5 years most likely. I would recommend sending the whole Headset and not just the Mic and Downlead Assy as sometimes the Active Noise Cancelling Circuitry in each Headset can drag the power down if it has a fault and cause the problem with the power supply in the Control Box.

If the Headset takes power from the Aircraft by way of a 'Lemo' Six Pin Connector or similar then, the fault finding can be extended to the downlead, but the outcome is likely to be the same.

Both RV7Flyer and mriou should try the Headsets stand alone off aircraft and they should switch on and run fine with good batteries (and auto off if selected) - but if not, a repair is required.

As Bose Jessie mentions, the Mic is not a big deal to take off if you wish to swap to another to try, but most likely a fault in the ANR is the issue and it won't help much - a return for repair will be required most likely as mriou found.

Post again if I can offer anything else?

All the best,

Larry 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

My headset is indeed a two-plug set. It makes sense that the fault is in the headset, as that is the common element. I keep just putting up with it, but time to send it in.

Thanks Larry,

Marcel

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your reply. Ha Ha! I'm with you, been there and done that too.

It's quite rewarding when you get them back though and all working well...

All the best, good luck.

Larry

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 15, 2020

My A20 does the same thing. It is 2 years old and has 2 plug GA. When I replace the batteries the LED flashed green momentarily then fast red flashes. Noise canceling works for a couple minutes then shuts off. I have tried it in a different aircraft and with several batteries fresh out of the package. Is there anything else I can do? I am on a contract in Africa and have no spare available and it will be another 2 months before I can send it in for repair. Any help on this is appreciated.

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and contributing to the discussion!

@CVD, if the light is blinking fast with a red light, then this is telling us that the headset thinks the batteries you are using are low. It will only show this LED pattern if you have less than 2 hours of battery life left. When you put new batteries in the headset, were these purchased recently? A set of alkaline batteries purchased in bulk previously may have lost their charge over time while in storage, so it would be worth testing a brand new set of batteries if you haven't already!

If you are using brand new batteries and it's still doing this, it does sound like the down cable would need a service. We do have service teams that can support you in Africa, if you go to this link and select the country you are in, you will be able to speak to the support team for that country!

I hope this helps!