Tim Toussaint
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 14, 2021

A20 high pitched feedback noise - on ear muff only (RH side)

Bose product name; A20; headset about 1 years old; fitted new BT cord 2 yrs ago; U-174 helicopter connector

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: When rapidly descending (1,000 FT/min +) I hear a very lead high pitched feedback noise in the RH ear only, like passing a microphone in front of a speaker. It is so loud and painful that I have to momentarily remove the headset from that ear. The feedback lasts for 5 to 15 sec, but not longer than the descent itself.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.): R44 piston engined helicopter (non-pressurized cockpit)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? 1 yr ago. Yes, worked fine previously with old non-BT cable, and also with new BT cable

Any troubleshooting steps you took:

- Swopped with old non-BT cable: same

- Replaced ear gel cups 6 month ago: same

- Had headset serviced by local Bose-authorised dealer: First round no improvement; second round they found a "cold soldering" on the opposite side ear muff (LH). Initially it seemed better for a week, but then problem reoccured

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vicky_W

Re: A20 high pitched feedback noise - on ear muff only (RH side)

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tim Toussaint

@Tim Toussaint, I am so sorry you are having this issue. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
PartpilotUK
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Hi again Tim!

There should be a 5 year warranty on the Headset? If that's the case in your area, then I would send it back to Bose for repair, if you can do without it for a while?

Normally the only thing I find that can sometimes cause Feedback is if it's off your Ear, as with a thick pair of Sunglasses on etc. However, your defect sounds more specific and you have troubleshot by changing the leads back, so maybe needs to go back?

All the best,

Larry.

Tim Toussaint
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 14, 2021

Hi Larry

As I say, the headset has already gone in twice for service and repair for this problem. The findings of the authorised BOSE dealer were mentioned in my OP. And no, the headset is not under warranty anymore, so was paying for the service.

PartpilotUK
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Sorry Tim, I read that it was 1 year old in your original post above?

Hope you get it sorted.

All the best,

Larry

Jessie_O

Hey Tim, 

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues you are experiencing in the descent. I'll be happy to help you where I can!

Can you tell me if this happens when you have the noise canceling activated? Does it happen when you don't? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Tim Toussaint
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 14, 2021

Yes, it happens when noise cancelling is on.

Switching off noise cancelling stops the feedback.

It is just so loud and painful that the immediate reaction / remedy is to remove the earcup from that ear, as finding the off button, then press & holding it to switch off, takes a few seconds.

Thanks, Tim

Hector_B

Thanks for updating us on this Tim. 

Do you experience this issue with any other headsets you use in the helicopter? I'd also like to know if you have used the headset in any other aircraft at all? 

We look forward to hearing back from you with further details on this. 

Tim Toussaint
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 14, 2021

I use passive David Clark headsets in the other seats, and also while my A20 was in repair for several weeks for this problem. There are no problems when using the DC's.

I have not flown any other aircraft with my Bose A20 since  the problem came up (which was after many years of problem-free ownership of the same headset).

What is remarkable though was that you can provoke the onset of this feedback noise, on the ground in the office, with ANR = ON, the headset cable not connected to anything, by just accelerating the ear cup (wiggling it with your hand). Only the problem ear cup would start chirping. The other side would stay quiet even when being wiggled.

Vicky_W

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tim Toussaint

@Tim Toussaint, I am so sorry you are having this issue. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us.

View solution in original post

Nikolai
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2021

Hi Tim,

I have exactly the same problem with my A20. High pitch in one ear (in my case in the Left) only during fast decent! Used in multiple different SE aircrafts, always the same. Eventually gave up on Bose, switch to Lightspeed, no problem any more. Keep Bose for passenger, ask him/her to turn off noise cancellation before decent. Please, let me know if you eventually learn how to fix the problem.

Thanks

Nikolai