Highlighted
robertsmith103
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

Bose A20 Bluetooth Crackling sound

When I connect the headset to a bluetooth device, I immediately hear a constant crackling noise. 

It remains constantly until I turn off the bluetooth. The normal ANR works perfectly at all times when the headset is powered. 

I have tried re pairing / other devices / and using with or without batteries and it still remains.

This noise only happens in the flight deck and not at home so I assume it is an interference problem, or a conflict between signals? I am using the 5 pin connection as it has power available in the Aircraft.

I don't recall anybody else having this issue with bluetooth with any other headsets. 

I purchased the headset in 2012 (non bluetooth) and upgraded the cable to bluetooth recently.

Any help is much appreciated as it hugely impacts such a good quality headset. 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bose A20 Bluetooth Crackling sound

Hi Robertsmith103, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you seem to be having with crackling in your A20 headset. 

Can you tell me if you have always had this issue, or did it appear when you upgraded the cable? Or has it happened overnight?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest,

Jessie O - Community Support 

robertsmith103
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

Thank You for the reply

It has only happened since I upgraded the cable from a non bluetooth cable to a bluetooth cable. 

I have already exchanged the cable to a new one and still have the problem, although I believe that the new cable is slightly better. 

Just to summarise, there is no problem if the bluetooth is off, it is only when the bluetooth is paired to a device (I have tried many different devices). It is a constant clicking and crackling noise that is very noticeable and it only happens in the Flight Deck, not at home. 

I have tried with and without batteries as I am using the 5 pin connector with aircraft power. 

Hello Robertsmith103,

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming these details.

For testing purposes, would it be possible for you to try the headset in another aircraft?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

robertsmith103
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

Yes I have tried it in 4 different aircraft now and I have the same problem in all of them. 

The serial number of the cable is [Edited by a Moderator].

Could it have been a batch problem, or a newer version is the cable is available? 

I am finding it very disappointing to be honest and almost unusable. I love my A20 headset and this has really put a dent in its effectiveness.

Thanks again

Robert

Hi robertsmith103,

Thank you for providing that extra information, it definitely is an unusual issue that we are experiencing here.

What I would recommend you checking, is the volume levels on the down cable, the Bluetooth device being used, and the intercom/radio on the flight deck. It is possible that having the volume level set too low on any of these sources could potentially cause a crackling sound from the headset like you are describing.

If this does not work, I would definitely recommend contacting your local support team for further assistance, you can find their contact information at this link by selecting your country/region from the list, then selecting 'Contact Us'.

Kind Regards,

Keith L