Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Re: Bose X XLR5 to GA twin plug needs power for ANR

Author Accepted Answer selected by msmit

Hi Maarten,

Thanks and saw your reply. If I may suggest, definitely don't try that solution. There are so many variables and most importantly the Headsets are certified. The Control boxes are just one small part of the system and suited and certified only to the complete Lead they are installed on and match the Mics, power supplies and Electronics.

Stick with sourcing a complete down-lead as suggested for now - there are quite a few around. My hunch is you will buy an A20 and not look back.

Best regards,

Larry

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Hi MsMit,

The XLR/Bose X uses an external (installed) power supply as you say to power the Noise Cancelling system. One of the pins on the XLR Connector will be looking for 12/24V DC, but using the XLR/G/A Adapter it will not be powered.

There are two suggestions for this If I may suggest that may help:-

1) If you still need the Bose X for the Airbus, then perhaps look on the Auction Sites for another Microphone and Downlead Assy that can be swapped fairly simply off your existing Headset as and when required. You will need one with twin plug (G/A) and electret Mic, then of course with the in-line Battery Case for power. The prices for the used Bose X have come down a lot lately so you may even be able to pick up a complete Headset for a good price and not need to swap over.

2) If no need for the Airbus Headset now, consider looking at a new or used Bose A20 with G/A Plugs and sell the Airbus Unit the same way.

The A20 is considerably better all round than the X to be honest, especially for long flights, so if funds permit, maybe try obtaining an A20 with XLR and look for a G/A Downlead and Mic Assy only with Twin Plugs for your G/A Flying to swap over when required?

Hope this is of use,

Best regards, Larry

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 28, 2020

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by msmit

Hi Maarten,

Thanks and saw your reply. If I may suggest, definitely don't try that solution. There are so many variables and most importantly the Headsets are certified. The Control boxes are just one small part of the system and suited and certified only to the complete Lead they are installed on and match the Mics, power supplies and Electronics.

Stick with sourcing a complete down-lead as suggested for now - there are quite a few around. My hunch is you will buy an A20 and not look back.

Best regards,

Larry

View solution in original post