Participant
Registered since

Apr 30, 2020

Bose proflight not legal on Airbus Family

Hello, 

I am a user of Bose proflight and fly airbus A320. Recently while browsing down Airbus documents I stumbled upon Airbus In service information reference no. 23.51.00003. So in short we are not legel to use bose proflight headset on airbus family. While after buying most premium aviation headsets I expected them to take necessary approvals from big manufacturers like Boeing  and Airbus because most of pilots using professional headsets will use on these aircraft. Now my premium $1000 headset is a dud as I can not legally use them. Very annoyed. Any comments 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose proflight not legal on Airbus Family

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jeff_G

The Bose ProFlight Series 2 headset does not appear in the ETSO authorization list, as it is approved via Reciprocal Acceptance Agreement of the FAA issuing authority’s certification, made possible through a bilateral agreement between the FAA and EASA (and Transport Canada). Under this bilateral agreement, each agency now recognizes the other’s certifications without the need to recertify. A Technical Implementation Procedure (TIP) was signed into effect on or about September 22, 2017, and version 6 of the TIP went into effect on March 22, 2018.

• The TIP document may be viewed here.
  • FAA bilateral agreements may be viewed here.
  • The FAA TSO authorizations may be viewed on https://www.FAA.gov.
  • From the Reciprocal Acceptance FAQ:
    • “In plain language, FAA will accept a TCCA CAN-TSO design approval (DA) for articles from Canada and will no longer issue a Letter of TSO design approval (LODA) for the same article. Likewise, TCCA will accept the FAA’s TSOA for an article from the United States (U.S.) without issuing a CAN-TSO DA for the same article. Additionally, FAA will accept an EASA ETSOA for an article from the European Union (EU) and will no longer issue a LODA for the same article, while EASA will accept the FAA’s TSOA for an article from the U.S. without issuing an ETSOA for the same article.”

Simply put, if a headset receives TSO C-139a certification in the US, it is now automatically accepted by EASA, as well as Transport Canada (TCCA) aviation authorities. No additional certifications by these authorities are necessary. For A20, the headset was originally certified in 2010, with a minor design change certification in 2015. Both of these predate the reciprocal agreement and therefore remain listed as ETSO approved. This might seem confusing seeing A20 ETSO approval and not ProFlight Series 2 until it is understood how the agencies now receive and accept each other’s’ certifications. ProFlight Series 2 meets the requirements for FAA TSO C-139a and is automatically accepted by EASA for use in the EU via the referenced agreements.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hello chahatcj, 

I'd love to look into this more for you. Can I please ask which region you are in? 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Participant
Registered since

Apr 30, 2020

Hello thank you for reply. I bought this from US. Now I am working in India. 

Participant
Registered since

Oct 15, 2020

Hello, 

like the colleague here I have the same problem. My company just released an internal note with a copy-paste of the aproved Airbus headset, in which the Aviation Proflight Serie 2 is not included. I am very disapointed because now is of utmost importance not to be sharing the headset with other colleages. I hope you can give me a solution. Otherwise it would be a over 1000€ lost for me.

Hello chahatcj and Jon Bilbao, 

Both the A20 and ProFlight headsets are FAA TSO and EASA ETSO certified. The ProFlight model is certified to the C139a standard, while the A20 is certified to C139. This means that the civil aviation authorities in the U.S. and Europe have certified the headsets to meet their standards for safety. This is often enough for commercial operators to allow their pilots to use these products on commercial aircraft.

Because Bose considers headsets to be a carry-on device, versus something that is permanently attached to the plane and, therefore, a part of the plane, we believe these certifications to be enough. Of course, aircraft manufacturers are free to implement whatever standards they choose. The decision to allow the use of certain headsets is ultimately up to each airline, so we encourage those interested in using Bose aviation headsets to check with their employer first. Several airlines, including Airbus and Boeing operators have independently evaluated our headsets through their technical departments and have approved their use based on aircraft type.

Kind regards,

Participant
Registered since

Nov 9, 2020

CAAV (Vietnam's CAA) issued an audit result report, prohibiting airline to use non-certified by airplane manufacturer headset.
Giving the list of Airbus approved headsets (some are obsolete).

Bose is not there.

It is out of the hands of airline to approve a headset in such a case.

I believe it is about time for Bose to take responsibility and to talk and resolve the issue with Airbus (Boeing) and give a common statement.

Thank you,

Participant
Registered since

Nov 9, 2020

Here is the ETSO list:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/download/etso/etsoa.pdf
revision 1/11/20

Bose A20 is there, Bose ProFlight is NOT there.
Can you please check and help with the authorization?

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jeff_G

The Bose ProFlight Series 2 headset does not appear in the ETSO authorization list, as it is approved via Reciprocal Acceptance Agreement of the FAA issuing authority’s certification, made possible through a bilateral agreement between the FAA and EASA (and Transport Canada). Under this bilateral agreement, each agency now recognizes the other’s certifications without the need to recertify. A Technical Implementation Procedure (TIP) was signed into effect on or about September 22, 2017, and version 6 of the TIP went into effect on March 22, 2018.

• The TIP document may be viewed here.
  • FAA bilateral agreements may be viewed here.
  • The FAA TSO authorizations may be viewed on https://www.FAA.gov.
  • From the Reciprocal Acceptance FAQ:
    • “In plain language, FAA will accept a TCCA CAN-TSO design approval (DA) for articles from Canada and will no longer issue a Letter of TSO design approval (LODA) for the same article. Likewise, TCCA will accept the FAA’s TSOA for an article from the United States (U.S.) without issuing a CAN-TSO DA for the same article. Additionally, FAA will accept an EASA ETSOA for an article from the European Union (EU) and will no longer issue a LODA for the same article, while EASA will accept the FAA’s TSOA for an article from the U.S. without issuing an ETSOA for the same article.”

Simply put, if a headset receives TSO C-139a certification in the US, it is now automatically accepted by EASA, as well as Transport Canada (TCCA) aviation authorities. No additional certifications by these authorities are necessary. For A20, the headset was originally certified in 2010, with a minor design change certification in 2015. Both of these predate the reciprocal agreement and therefore remain listed as ETSO approved. This might seem confusing seeing A20 ETSO approval and not ProFlight Series 2 until it is understood how the agencies now receive and accept each other’s’ certifications. ProFlight Series 2 meets the requirements for FAA TSO C-139a and is automatically accepted by EASA for use in the EU via the referenced agreements.

View solution in original post

Participant
Registered since

Nov 9, 2020

Sir,

We are not running an election company here and using a “political” answer will not help. 

To put it straight forward, you are saying that Bose will not move a finger to certify their headset with the most popular airliner manufacturer (Airbus). 

Simply abandon it’s customers on this topic. 

The answer is simple:

BOSE HEADSETS ARE NOT CERTIFIED BY AIRBUS TO BE USED ONBOARD IT’S AIRCRAFT. 

Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2020

Hi, I purchased these after looking into the product, I fly the A350 and can let you know Im having a problem with these headsets, when I use them the other pilots have trouble with the volume and being able to hear the RT clearly, disconnect them and it fine, this product does not work very well.