Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2020

High pitch squeal

Recently my a20’s have had an intermittent issue where, when the noise cancelling is turned on they create an incredibly loud squeal that sounds a lot like feed back, they are less than a year old and probably only have about 300-400 hours of use. It doesn’t happen all the time and it doesn’t always last for long periods, but it does seem to be happing more frequently. Any help would be appreciated 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: High pitch squeal

Hi Jmac8956, 

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues with your A20 headphones. I'll be more than happy to help you in any way that I can. 

Can you tell me if you have noticed a specific time this happens? With a certain aircraft? A certain point in the flight? etc. 

In the mean time I would recommend removing and reattaching the Boom mic using the instructions below: 

1. On the microphone connector at the earcup, loosen the two screws using a Phillips screwdriver, then pull the connector from the earcup
  2. On the terminal cover at the other earcup, loosen the two screws, then pull the cover from the earcup
  3. Align the microphone connector to the desired earcup, then tighten the screws to secure it in place
  4. Align the terminal cover to the opposite earcup, then tighten the screws to secure it in place
  5. Test the headset before the flight.

Let me know how you get on! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2020

hi, thanks for the response I have tried what you suggested and haven’t noticed a difference. I think the issue is somewhere in the ANR cycle. As the squeal stops if I turn the ANR off.

There doesn’t appear to be any real pattern to the issue, sometimes it will occur as soon as the ANR is turned on and sometimes it will occur after we have been in the cruise for a decent period of time. Sometimes I can fly 6 sectors with the issue not occurring, other days it will occur multiple times on every sector. It occurs on all the aircraft in our fleet and no one else appears to have the same issue whilst using the same type of head sets.

Thanks for updating us on this Jmac8956. 

Can you please also let's know if this issue sounds when you aren't wearing the headset? I'd also recommend ensuring that the cushions are securely fitted to the headset. 

If the issue still persists when you aren't wearing the headphones, please do reach out to us via your regional Bose website here. The team will be able to explore any service options that we can offer for your product.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!