Joel B
Participant
Registered since

Jan 25, 2021

Loud Engine Noise

Bose product name - A20 LEMO with Bluetooth

Country - USA

I purchased a new Bose A20 Bluetooth with the LEMO plug and the LEMO to GA adapter on December 29th, not even a month ago.  I am a full time flight instructor, primarily in Cirrus aircraft, so I fly several different planes. I have used Bose headsets for the last several years with no issues. On my first several flights the headset worked flawlessly just as expected.  After about 15 hours of flight time they began to pick up an excessive amount of engine noise when I would break squelch to talk to my student or ATC.  When I don't talk the noise cancelling works great.  I have not had this issue in any other pair I have used and I am trying to figure out why this pair is so loud.

The aircraft squelch works fine, I can adjust the sensitivity on all of the planes I have tested it on, anything from an SR22T to a Cessna 172, to pick up my voice at the level I want it to.  The issue does follow the headset, whether from plug to plug in the same airplane or airplane to airplane.  

Any advice or things to try before I attempt to contact Bose to see if I can figure out what is wrong with them?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Keith_L

Re: Loud Engine Noise

Hi Joel B,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

As you mentioned you are only hearing the engine noise when talking to your student or ATC, this is likely related to the sidetone settings and how much of your microphone the headset is playing back into your ears. If your headset is not connected to an intercom, your headset control module generates sidetone, which is adjustable using the volume knobs on the control module itself.

However, if the headset is connected to an intercom, the intercom will be what generates the sidetone, and the sidetone level is controlled by the intercom, not by the volume knobs on your control module. 

Depending on how you are using the headset, you will be able to adjust the amount of sidetone either from your headset control module, or from the controls of the intercoms in your planes, so you hear less of the engine noise.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Joel B
Participant
Registered since

Jan 25, 2021

Re: Loud Engine Noise

I will try playing with the volume control tomorrow when I fly again but the issue is not with the airplanes. 

In the Cirrus I was flying when it was the worst, both myself and my student had recently purchased A20's, mine a few weeks old and his about two months old.  He had no issues at all with his headset picking up extra noise in either of the front seat LEMO plugs.  The issue followed my headset to all four LEMO plugs.  We had another three pair of A20's that we tried and none of them had the engine noise issue mine had when plugged in.  

I did a flight today with them in another Cirrus and the issue was much less, still having engine noise in the background but not so bad that we could not communicate.