Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 9, 2020

ProFlight Series 2 Aviation Headset for use at a professional TV-Camera

Hi,

I am about to buy the ProFlight Series 2 Aviation Headset, but i want to use it on Professional TV-Cameras with the 5 pin XLR cable.

I don't know if this is possible. 

Are there any Problems with the Microphone or Powersupply?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Re: ProFlight Series 2 Aviation Headset for use at a professional TV-Camera

Hi Ramses_02

Was reading your post yesterday. Just a suggestion for you in the meantime - have you looked at the Bose SoundComm B40 at all? This Headset looks likely to be more compatible with your suggested application? It has 4 and 5 Pin XLR's wired for the Entertainment Business.

I have a feeling you might run into multiple compatibility and power supply issues using the Aircraft Airbus XLR connector out of interest?

All the best,

Larry

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 9, 2020

Hi Larry,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, the SoundComm B4o might fit better into the environment i want the Headset to be used in. But i am looking for an InEar-Solution where i can put easily one  out of my ear, so i can hear better my surroundings. Especially in quiet situations. So i can hear myself in relation to the surrounding sounds, to avoid too loud talking and i want it lightweighted and small. Also I don't like my Ears fully covered, it always start hurting after a couple of hours, you sweat underneath and if you wear Glasses, like me, it is  giving you extra pressure on your ears.

But thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,

Thomas

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Hi Thomas,

That makes a huge amount of sense, and I would have thought most certainly something for the Product Development Team at Bose to maybe take a look in order to perhaps compliment their Soundcomm product offering?

I am sure a Mod will help us but am also sure they will not condone non Aviation use of any of their products, or honour the Warranty, so its difficult to answer your question.

However, as an Aircraft Engineer, here's something to think about:- An Aviation Headset is built for specific purposes, including Mic and Earphone Impedances. These may not be the same as Entertainment Audio. The Airbus XLR Plug, although the same as the Domestic Version, will not use the same wiring pin convention and configuration as the Entertainment business.

It will have a Stereo Headphone L&R in, plus a Mic Out and Earth. They will also have a pin for 12-24V DC for the Headset ANL Power. If you are keen to go ahead and buy one regardless to take the risk, I would consult an Aviation Avionics Shop first, who will be able to better guide you? An Avionics Engineer will know more about the Aviation use and the Impedance matching most likely and possibly have data on the connections required.

Good luck and best wishes!

Larry