Highlighted
Ccmcd88
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2019

Too much noise in A20 headset

I have the A20 with Bluetooth.

Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity of the microphone? The microphone picks up on all the ambient noises, such as breathing, pens clicking, air vents, and instrument operation then this noise is reproduced through the headphone completely eliminating the noise canceling benefits. When I have noise canceling on, the headphones are constantly producing the ambient sound of the flight deck. 

Another thing I am trying to figure out is occasionally clicking coming through the headphones when noise canceling is on. It sounds like electrical interference but it happens pretty often at various phases of Any given flight in a 737. 

4 REPLIES 4
evan_w
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 26, 2019

Re: Too much noise in A20 headset

I’ve noticed too that my headset produces a constant chirping sound faintly in the background, which I recently figured out the sound is caused by the strobe lights blinking. Perhaps that is the electrical sound you are hearing? As for the microphone, mine doesn’t pick up small sounds like that, in fact sometimes it doesn’t even pick up my voice if I don’t speak loud enough. 

Hello Ccmcd88,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your A20 Aviation Headset. 

Regarding the ambient noises that you are hearing, I would recommend adjusting the squelch settings on your comm. This could reduce the number of ambient sounds coming through as the squelch adjusts what triggers the mic to open.

Do you hear the clicking noises in just one or both earcups?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Ccmcd88
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2019

The clicking noise is especially present on the ground while the strobe light is off. It comes mostly from the right headphone. I fly a B737 so there is no squelch control. 

Hello Ccmcd88, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

There a few things we can try to resolve this issue. They are: 

• Determine if any recent changes have been made to the headset or aircraft. If any changes or modifications have been made to either the headset or the aircraft, look into whether or not those changes could have unexpectedly caused this issue.
  • Connect the headset to a different panel jack or, if possible, to another aircraft. Non-TSO equipment, worn jacks/loose connections, or incorrectly wired jacks (i.e. reversed stereo or mic / ground wires) in the aircraft can cause issues. If available, try connecting the headset to another jack in the aircraft or to jacks in a separate aircraft. If the headset works fine when connected elsewhere, the panel jack or wiring to the jack is the issue.
  • Determine if the issue occurs with ANR off. If the problem continually occurs when the ANR (Acoustic Noise Reduction) is off, then the issue is with the signal coming into the headset from the aircraft. Inspect the integrity of the panel connections and its associated wiring.
  • Determine if the issue occurs when the mic is in use. If the issue only occurs when speaking through the microphone, the Down Cable may be defective. 
  • Be sure the headset scrims are clean and free of debris. Check for blockages in the scrim (the cloth grille inside earcup opening). Excessive debris can result in low audio or poor sound quality.
  • Replace worn ear cushions. The issue may be caused by the lack of a proper seal by the ear cushions around the ear. Also, check to be sure the cushions are securely attached to the earcup. Replacing worn ear cushions will aid in comfort, the performance of the active noise reduction and battery life. 

Once we have identified where the problem is coming from, we will be able to work together to find a solution. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W