YanivC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Re: Prescription Lenses

Hello

I’m interested in getting lenses for my Bose alto. I purchased some from glassesusa but I was not happy with them and returned them.

Do you do the transitions extractive? I don’t need prescription just blue screen filter and transitions extractive. Is this something you can do?

LensesRx Optical
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Yes, we can do XTRActive and blue light blocking AR. My question is do you fully understand those 2 products and what they are used for? It seems like an odd combination. XTRActive is essentially a slightly tinted regular Transitions lens. It was initially designed for people to use in cars where UV light would not trigger regular Transitions to activate. The blue light blocking option was really intended for night time reading on LCD devices with very strong blue light channels coming in from LED back lights. You need blue light during the day. However, at night blue light will keep you awake for longer than you should be, tricking your brain that you are outside.

I know that most opticals just shove these options down your throat. However, you should be aware of what you are buying and the purpose of it. This is still a medical device.

YanivC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Hello

thank you for the prompt response and thank you for your honesty. ok I’ll explain my need. I’ma software developer so I’m at my computer most of the day. I wanted something  that would block out the effects of the screen as well as being able to use them outdoors. I had the transitions but they don’t get dark while driving which was a pain. So basically I need something to use indoors while working on my computer and something I can use as sunglasses but also in my car. Hope I wasn’t too verbose 🙂

LensesRx Optical
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Ahh, makes sense. Just so you are aware Transitions products have blue blocking built into them. Xtractive blocks about 10%. While the new GEN 8 blocks about 20%.

https://www.essilorusa.com/products/transitions

Please keep in mind, the technology of tinting the lens via UV sensitivity is called "photochromic". While Transitions is the brand of photochromic lenses. Not all photochromic lenses are built the same and not everyone sells authentic Transitions products. This is why your previous experience may have been so poor with the other vendor.

LensesRx Optical
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

I just wanted to clarify something as I received a few messages that made me realize I must have confused a few people.

First off, a high quality blue blocking coating can block about 35-40% blue-violet waves. Adding it on top of a Transitions product is not going to be much different as a value of a product. However, if the blue blocker is a cheaper one, well then you're just throwing money away, as those block about 5%

UV and blue blocking are exclusive to Transitions photochromic lenses, other brand photochromics do not offer these benefits (unless stated)

A high quality blue blocker is recommended to people who spend a lot of time looking at LED light at night. Yes, you will still get benefits if you have a blue blocker during heavy LED use during the day, but it's very minimal. Remember, there is about 20% blue light found in sunlight.

Take away: I recommend for his situation just the genuine Transitions product. He didn't need anything else added to the lenses as it would be a waste of money.

SEL
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 21, 2019

I called about having my prescription lenses put in my Bose frames. I was told it would be fine. However, keep the original lenses in case the glasses needed to be returned. 

Hello SEL, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry if you were misinformed. To maintain the warranty of your Bose Frames, lenses can only be replaced with authorized or approved lenses like the Bose Lens Collection. We are exploring partnerships to allow for prescription lenses under the warranty, but there are no approved channels for this yet. 

I am sorry for any confusion caused. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

andradeluis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 11, 2019

Well, I just got mine back with prescriptions (Varilux, Transitions, Crizal) and it seems just fine so far - and finally usefull. I ordered from Cohen´s Fashion Optics, at 8th Ave. and 37th St. in Manhattan NYC.

Bob R
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Vicky W    Bose has been stating for over a year now that they are working on getting partners that can provide "authorized" providers for prescription lenses.  At this reply there are 138 requests for such partnership(s)...Bose: What is the hang-up?  Let's get cracking for all of us with vision issues that are dying to order our own Bose Frames.  How about boosting the priority and getting this done.