Pm4gis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 6, 2019

Warranty terms and Prescription lenses

Hello, I have read on 2-3 occasions across reviews and the web about the "frames" not being under warranty if the "lenses" are replaced with prescription lenses. 

Could any Bose representative please clarify this.

if so:

1. Where is it expressed in any printed material, pre and post sales as I am unable to find this in my package 

2. What is the logic for this

3. If so, please outline the process for return/refund in New Zealand as the retailer is not willing to accept them due to "hygiene" reasons. 

4. Please make this much clearer in your marketing materials as this is a misrepresentation of product and unsuitable for expected use by a good portion of the population. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Warranty terms and Prescription lenses

I don't work for Bose, but a couple of points to answer (and this is my own personal opinion)

1 - it may depend on what country you are in, but modifying an item outside of its original usage will generally void any warranty even without needing to be expressed in writing - If you purchase a car and put an engine in that is not recommended, the car will not be covered by warranty.    The frames have lenses that are compatible with it and using other lenses (while doable) is not recommended.

2 - While the lenses are interchangable, someone putting in presription lenses may use methods that damage the frames which may not be apparent straight away.  So while lenses should not affect the audio aspect of the frames, how can Bose tell if it is a manufacturer fault that would be covered by warranty or something that was affected by the installation.

3 - if it's a warranty issue I would assume you have the same rights as if you purchased in-ear headphones.  I know most retailers don't accept change of mind refunds on in-ear headphones for those reasons, but warranty issues are still handled properly. - If warranty is void, you may be out of luck.

4 - I don't think there is anywhere in thier marketing material that says you can install 3rd party lenses, so I don't know how it can be misleading.

Highlighted
Pm4gis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 6, 2019

I was not asking for further uninformed and incorrect made up speculation, this answer is nothing more than a waste of time and space.

Highlighted
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Fair enough, but if you want those answers it would be best to talk direct to a Bose Rep in your country rather than a community forum.  If you want those answers follow the link below to the contact us site for New Zealand.

https://global.bose.com/en_us/support_sites.html

Highlighted
Pm4gis
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 6, 2019

And this is the site they sent me to.  Can you SENSE MY UTTER FRUSTRATION.

@Morlock wrote:

Fair enough, but if you want those answers it would be best to talk direct to a Bose Rep in your country rather than a community forum.  If you want those answers follow the link below to the contact us site for New Zealand.

https://global.bose.com/en_us/support_sites.html

Highlighted
oslim
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

i took mine to TARGET when i got my exam .. no questions asked.   i got the tint on it plus my prescription..  no problems except its not the right green but im happy .. 

Highlighted

Hi All,

I'm happy to let you all know we do have an update for those of you who are interested in prescription lenses for your Frames. 

As of 12/19/19 Bose Frames are now "prescription-ready" in the United States! This means for existing and new customers in the US only, your warranty will now be upheld should you choose to add prescription lenses (sunglasses or other) to your Bose Frames through any licensed prescription lens installer, regardless of the date you purchased them. More information on this can be found HERE.

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.