Dwenson
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

Bose SoundDock XT Volume Control Issue on iOS 11

I just found a volume control issue on my Bose SoundDock XT after updating to iOS 11. The volume level displayed on my iPhone 6 Plus previously changes up or down as I touch the + or - pads, respectively, of the speaker. Now, it stays on same level and will update the actual volume level only when I press the volume control of the phone. The speaker's volume control does not control the volume level displayed on the phone anymore though the loudness of the speaker changes as expected. Same issue seen on my 6th Generation iPod Touch. I went to Bose Outlet Store to check if this is caused by defective speaker but their speaker behaves the same. They also have an older iOS version of iPod Touch and it works fine - volume level displayed on the phone changes as I touch the + or - pads of the speaker. Please help relaying this to Apple so they can fix this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael@destefano.de
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

Re: Bose SoundDock XT Volume Control Issue on iOS 11

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dwenson

Good news!!!! With the iOS 11.2 the issue is gone and history! It works fine now.🥇🥇🥇

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Michael@destefano.de
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

I have exact the same issue with the sounddock and an iPhone 7on iOS 11.0.3. and iOS 11.1.1 very sad 😞
This happens with iOS 11 on iPhone 7 and iPhone X. With iPhone 6 and ios 11 it works!

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Hi all,

Thank you very much for letting us know about this issue. Curiously is this issue still occurring with the release of iOS 11.1?

Let us know if the issue continues with that iOS build! Thanks!

-Michael

Michael@destefano.de
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

As i wrote above YES. The same issues with iOS 11.1.1
Dwenson
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

I still have the same issue on iOS 11. I have my buddy try his iPhone 7S same issue.

Do you have some kind of reference Bose SoundDock XT in your lab that you can try and prove this issue, right?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts and the information on the various models that are having this issue.

Unfortunately, this will be down to a simple compatibility issue, where the XT does not provide full functionality with the newer iPhone models or operating systems.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

Ben

DieterA
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 25, 2017

Hi, I have the same issue since I upgraded to iOS11, are you telling me there is no option to fix this issue and that i can’t use my speaker anymore?
Highlighted
Dwenson
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

I would understand if we have issue on the new iPhone X since we have no history that it worked with it before. Hardware could have changes causing incopatibility. However, we are all talking about pair of devices that used to work normally.

This is obviously not a hardware limitation between iPod/iPhone and the speaker. This is something that can be fixed on iOS software and related on Serial communication between these two hardware through the lightning port. It looks like the iOS does not recognize the command from the speaker.

This is a matter of Bose Corporation not relaying the issue to Apple. Apple must be informed of this issue on a Bose product.. I am so sorry but it seems to me that no effort was exerted to at least reach out to Apple to solve this issue - 😞 nearly similar to removal of Airplay capability and the customers suffers.
Michael@destefano.de
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

Same with iOS 11.1.2 😞

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi DieterA, Dwenson, and Diavolo, 

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. Just to make sure we aren't missing something, can you try to reboot your phone as well as unplug power the to the SoundDock XT for a solid minute and re-test? Let us know if the issue continues as we can escalate this up with hopes of getting this to Apple. Curiously, has anyone already reported this to Apple? Please let us know. 

Kind Regards