Community emails treated as spam by Gmail because of incorrect SPF/DMARC

Audible Advocate

Community emails treated as spam by Gmail because of incorrect SPF/DMARC

When the community sends me an email alerting me that a subscribed post has received a reply, Gmail treats the email as spam because "Mail could not verify that it actually came from bose.com." The reason for this is that bose.com publishes SPF and DMARC DNS records that are used to verify that an email was sent by a server authorized to do so. This is great, but the emails come from smtp.lithium.com which is NOT included in the list of authorized servers!

For example, here's some headers from an email I recently received (munged to pass your filters):

ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
spf=fail (google.com: domain of community_manager-at-bose.com does not designate 208.74.204.5 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=Community_Manager-at-bose.com;
dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=NONE dis=QUARANTINE) header.from=bose.com
Return-Path: <Community_Manager-at-bose.com>
Received: from smtp.lithium.com (smtp.lithium.com. [208.74.204.5])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id w123-v6si9988966pgw.360.2018.07.01.10.22.20
for <xxx>
(version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
Sun, 01 Jul 2018 10:22:20 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: fail (google.com: domain of community_manager-at-bose.com does not designate 208.74.204.5 as permitted sender) client-ip=208.74.204.5;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=fail (google.com: domain of community_manager-at-bose.com does not designate 208.74.204.5 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=Community_Manager-at-bose.com;
dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=NONE dis=QUARANTINE) header.from=bose.com
Received: from sjc1papp79.sj.lithium.com (sjc1papp79.sj.lithium.com [10.21.110.26]) by smtp.lithium.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2BDD340472 for ...

Please work with Lithium to get this addressed so that emails to community members don't get filed as spam. Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Community emails treated as spam by Gmail because of incorrect SPF/DMARC

Hi jonat,

Thanks for posting this!  I'll forward it over to the development team.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Re: Community emails treated as spam by Gmail because of incorrect SPF/DMARC

Thanks for the reply. I am not willing to mark this as "solved", though, until the issue is actually resolved (which it isn't as of today.)