Product request for QC35 II (default noise cancellation setting)

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Product request for QC35 II (default noise cancellation setting)

To the product developers of QC35 II:

I recently acquire the QC35 II.  It is a great product but its greatness lies mostly in it being wireless along with the sound quality and NOT in it having as a default setting set to high noise cancellation!  I use it very often now but I am finding it very inconvenient to have to find my iPhone every time I turn it on to turn off the noise cancellation!  Most often when using it, I do not want to be made deaf in relation of my environment, like when sitting in the living room or out on the street.  Often it is very important of be able to hear something of what is going on around oneself and to not be totally deaf.   I think Bose product developers have overestimated the general use of noise cancellation.  Sure, there are times when it is useful, like when one is sitting on an airplane but how often are people doing THAT relatively speaking to their daily lives compared to other every day activities!

So, what I am very much hoping / asking / pleading the QC35 II product developers for a future firmware update is that EITHER the default noise cancellation setting be put on 'OFF' or that the iPhone app 'remember' the last changed noise cancellation setting which it had before the head phones were turned off and that the app automatically set the noise cancellation to whatever that setting it had before the headphones were turned off.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.

9 REPLIES

Re: Product request for QC35 II (default noise cancellation setting)

Hi JohnWr,

Thanks for the post.  Great recommendations!  I wonder if this can be changed easily in the software.  I'm going to send this up to the product team as a customer recommendation.

If you have any more suggestions or any questions at all, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Brandon

Vocal Volunteer

Nooo!! You said: "the default noise cancellation setting be put on 'OFF'".. Never! The qc35 II version has an extra button that controls the noise levels (or voice command). But my version (qc35 I) does not have... and I really need the active noise canceler..

But I accept your second proposal! "app 'remember' the last changed noise cancellation setting".

Thanks,
Marcel M.
Friendly Fanatic

That extra button, unfortunately, is NOT for noise cancellation. Regulating noise levels and noise cancellation are two very different things.  If someone could prove me wrong, I would be most happy.  I have researched the possibility but it seems as though that extra button, unfortunately, is for something I have no use for.  It is beyond me that the product engineers have not made it possible to MANUALLY disable noise cancellation!!!! (Or that the app on the phone, once connected, automatically set the noise cancellation to the last changed setting.) It is INCONVENIENT to have to go find my iphone, turn on the app, scroll down to noise cancellation, etc etc to do something so simply which is just a button on the qc 25!!!

Friendly Fanatic

... not only does one have to find the phone, and turn on the app.  One has to know to go into the 'Settings' of the app and know that within the menu of the settings you find the noise cancellation options as the fourth option, click on that and finally you find the possibility of turning the noise cancellation 'off'.  I do not leave my qc 35 II on when I am not using it, of course, so every time I turn it on, I have to go through that very same stupid procedure.  Incredible!!!

Vocal Volunteer

Smiley Surprised

Really ... you're absolutely right!!

But you have this?

APP QC35II Extra button:

qc2.jpg

Thanks,
Marcel M.
Friendly Fanatic

Thank you so much for your persistence!  I did find the solution when taking the product tour of the Bose Connect App.  The answer to my particular problem was right under my nose (almost literally) as shown in this screenshot from my iphone!  So problem is solved!  IMG_5248.PNGThere is this button which IS dedicated to noise cancellation. For some reason I simply hadn't noticed it was there!

Audible Advocate

I like to use the Google assistant so I don't want to use that button for ANC. I would be ok with tap and hold doing different functions
Audible Advocate

Yes, same here. I want to buy the QC 35II, but most of the time I won't be using the NC. So, I'd like the headphones to be able to remember my setting (off). I've been delaying my purchase waiting for this feature to be implemented, because the QC35II are the closest to what I'm looking for, but the idea of having to turn off NC every single time I power them on would be a real pain.

I'm glad I found out about this while doing my "research", otherwise I'd have probably returned them.

I found a 10-page long thread about this same problem, I wanted to post there, but it was closed (?). At this point I'm more worried about the attitude from Bose regarding such a sensible complaint, than about the issue itself. I registered just to post and "like" these threads. I hope Bose comes around to this fix eventually...

(Edit: Now I found this other thread).

Friendly Fanatic

I just wanted to make sure that readers understand that this is much more of an issue for the QC35 I (as opposed to the QC35 II) as the QC35 II has a small button on the left headphone specifically designated for setting the NC to the setting you want!  Originally I had thought one had to do this via the Iphone app which was very cumbersome.  It is a very simple thing to press the designated NC button to get it to the desired NC mode.  As I understand it, on the QC35 I this button just isn't there!  It would have been best if the headphones could somehow 'remember' the last setting but with the NC button physically on the headphone on the QC35 II it is really not a big issue and takes just a couple seconds to get the NC switched off (which I invariably do most of the time). In other words, this won't really be a big problem if you go the the QC35 II.