vivirooni
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 3, 2019

ANC SETTING ON MULTIFUNCTION BUTTON, BOSE QC 35 i

My post here has biased audience/controllers and although keeps getting deleted doesn't mean I can't share in another forum.

Screenshot (101).png

1 REPLY 1
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: ANC SETTING ON MULTIFUNCTION BUTTON, BOSE QC 35 i

@vivirooni 

In order for your request to get implemented, the firmware in the QC35i must be able to assign multiple ANC functional settings to the middle switch.  We can all assume that it is possible but we would not know for sure unless Bose confirmed.  And I have to observe is that I do not recollect in the last 6 months of so that Bose moderators have ever informed us the customers that any functionality change is 'possible'.  Frankly, all they do is tell us they will refer our suggestion to the engineers and when firmware is updated they inform us about  some of the functional changes made AFTER the release.

So firstly, we do not know nor can we confirm (and I tried calling and asking Bose)  that the firmware in the QC35i can be changed to support multiple ANC settings (other than on and off).  If we were to assume that a firmware could be modified to support multiple ANC settings on the QC35i, then we would also have to ask how big/how long an effort that would be, whether Bose would choose to add that functionality for the QC35i (which by the way you can still buy in places like Amazon), and after all those 'ifs', when would the next firmware (which includes often multiple changes) gets released. Which is often no more than two or perhaps three changes a year (so we may not see another update until end of the summer or early fall).

Not working for Bose, I tend to agree with you.  My rationale goes like this.  My rationale is based on the recent upgrade to the QC35ii.  There are two versions of the QC35ii - the AE version and the AZ version.  Probably should have received a different name but that's a mute point now.  As we know, the AZ supports AR and the AE does not.  When asked why not, Bose doesn't say more than it does not, but we read here and elsewhere that the AE version is missing the hardware required for the firmware to support AR.

Mapping that to the QC35i - I would be pleasantly suprised if it had the hardware to support multiple ANC settings and so right now I would have to assume that a firmware upgrade to support ANC on the multifunction switch would only support ANC on and off.  That would leave us with functionality to support a BT communicating device without ANC.  And for that, I am skeptical whether Bose would want to change the firmware.