hockeymagnet
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

ANC effectiveness on voices

I've had a number of Bose QC products over the years and recently purchased QC 35's - mine were built in November 2016 and still running the 1.0.6 firmware - did not upgrade. The ANC for environmental sounds - HVAC systems, traffic, etc. is great. However, I'm finding voices come through louder than I would expect. I'm aware that hearing voices with ANC on is normal but to me they seem louder than they used to with the old Bose QC's. I remember travelling with even the old QC 15's and having to take them off to hear the flight attendant but I don't feel the same degree of ANC with these. Anybody have a similar experience?

5 REPLIES 5
jerry200909
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 14, 2017

Re: ANC effectiveness on voices

Used to own a pair of QC25, and I'm feeling the same. Looks like Bose tuned the QC35 to let more vocal come through.

Community Manager

Hi hockeymagnet,

You piqued my curiosity.  I just did some informal comparisons between the QC25 and the QC35. 

Active Noise Cancellation for voices

There are differences, but they are so slight that I'm struggling to find words to describe them.

Testing

I found a movie (Violet & Daisy) with lots of chatty dialogue between young women. I replayed the same scene over 20 times with the sound through the TV. I swapped QC25 (no cable) and QC35 in dim light so it was hard to tell which headset I was using. I tried this at low volume and louder.  

I tried adjusting the volume on the TV so that I was aware of the voices but not well enough to make out the words. Swapped back and forth many times and neither headset was clearer (more intelligible) than the other.

On the basis of voices passing through the Active Noise Cancellation, eyes closed, I could not tell when I was hearing the QC25 or QC35.

Note: QC35 firmware 1.06. I'll report back if anything changes when I update the firmware.

ST

hockeymagnet
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

Thanks ST, that's interesting. will be interested to see your opinion after the firmware update

Community Manager

Hi hockeymagnet,

Updated to 1.2.10 last night. Did all the same comparisons. Active Noise Cancellation sounds the same as before. 

I draw no conclusions from this except my experience with the firmware update may be different from others here.

ST

hockeymagnet
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

Thanks again. That's really interesting. If you're feeling it is pretty much the same as QC25's and not noticeably different from the 1.06 version. it will be interesting as well what more Bose has to say based on the notice they recently posted at the top of the page