Jlm
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2017

BOSE QC II Noise Cancelation is HORRIBLE

I used to love these headphones but the noise cancellation is NOT working and getting worse. I keep the firmware updated, the ear cups are tight, but I can hear people across my office talking in a normal tone of voice. I have already done all the "fixes" suggested by Bose. Sadly, there actually is little difference between them being on or off. It seems from these message boards that a lot of people experienced degradation in noise cancellation quality after updating through the Bose App. Is there any way to fix this or erase any updates? I am at my wit's end. These were an expensive purchase which I loved--but now I am recommending to my friends and everyone at my company to use Sony.

16 REPLIES 16
Liam_G

Re: BOSE QC II Noise Cancelation is HORRIBLE

Hello JIm,

Thank you for reaching out to the community! I am so sorry to hear that you are having issues with your headphones.
I will happily assist you with this issue. 

I would recommend that you try a few of these troubleshooting steps. You can try clearing the pairing list and repair the headphones to a device
or try resetting the headphones to see if the Noise Cancellation will improve. 

- You can reset your headphones by clicking Here.
- You can also try clearing the pairing list by clicking Here.

If you can try these steps and see if the Noise Cancellation has improved. 

I will look forward to hearing from you! 

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day! 

Liam - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Jlm
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2017

Thanks! I already tried resetting a few times. Just tried clearing the bluetooth pairing list. Which was done, but did not change the sound cancelling at all. I have a colleague who is seated more than 200 feet away and I can hear every word they are saying.

The noise cancellation used to be great and now is HORRIBLE.

Jessie_O

Hi JIm, 

I'm sorry to hear this issue is still affecting you! 

I would recommend reaching out to your Customer Service team to see if there are any service options we can offer you!

Click the link here, select your country of residence, scroll to the bottom and click on 'Contact Us'. They will be able to talk you through any services that maybe available to you. 

I hope this helps!

Jessie - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Marty_McFly
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2019

Which firmware version is installed on your ears? I've got mine today and the Bose App mentioned to download a new update. The current firmware version installed on my ears is 4.1.3. 

Thanks in advance

hgpt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 19, 2017

There was an infamous thread somewhere on the forum, long time ago, regarding Bose QC35's noise cancelling going horrible after a software update! 
I don't know were the thread went, as it is not in the Archives or anywhere on the forum. It used to be over here:
https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-Noise-Cancelling-Not-As-Good-As-Before/td-p/3...

That thread hand thousands and thoushands of views and more than 300 replys if I remember corectly. I personally returned my Bose QC35's and got a refund based on that thread. The behaviour was the same: when I got them they were spot on the best NC headphones on the market. After the update it was horrible, as I could hear anything. 
After the refund, I went once again to the showroom and bought a pair that was running the old firmware and had great NC.

Lesson learned: never update the firmware on your Bose headphones if they are OK with the current one. 
The mods never publicly acknowledged there was any problem at the time. Thankfully they were professional enough to refund the money, so I guess that's an A+ for customer service.

anaschirmer
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2019

I'm having A LOT of issues as well. My noise canceling is oscillating a lot, and sometimes it feels like the sounds of outside are being reproduced by bose's headphones because other people's voices get SO LOUD. 

I tried all the suggested troubleshooting already, and my software is updated. I bought these phones last October, and I've been having this issue for a couple of months now. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? Or did I just threw $380 (with taxes) on the trash?

Liam_W
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hello @anaschirmer,

Thanks for taking the time to post, and welcome to the Community!

I can assure you that we'd be more than happy to address and make this right for you.

All our Bose products come with a limited 1 or 2 year warranty (depending on your region) for where you have attempted all the relevant troubleshooting for an issue.

Please reach out to Bose support in your region to make use of this! You can do so by clicking HERE, selecting your country/region and navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

-Liam_W

luciasavchick
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

I'm having the same problem, and bought these 5 days ago. I'm really disappointed. I feel like the noise cancellation the first few days was GREAT -- I live in NYC and couldn't hear the honking outside. I'm now sitting in a very quiet suburban community and can hear every single word of a conversation in the next room. I understand that ANC is intended to drown out air conditioners, etc., but this is just disappointing. I can hear myself type. At first these were great, but I have to return them and go for the Sonys. 

Vicky_W

Hello Luciasavchick, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I am so sorry that your first post is of a negative issue, but would love to try and get this issue resolved for you. As my colleague Liam_G mentioned, resetting the headphones and clearing the pairing list are some great troubleshooting steps to try to resolve this issue. I would also suggest: 

• Going to btu.bose.com on a computer and following the instructions on the screen to update your headphones software. 
  • Downloading the Bose Connect App and adjusting the noise cancellation levels. 

If this does not work we have some great service options as mentioned by Liam W, all our Bose products come with a limited 1 or 2-year warranty (depending on your region) for when you have attempted all the relevant troubleshooting for an issue.

Please reach out to Bose support in your region to make use of this! You can do so by clicking HERE, selecting your country/region and navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

I hope this information helps you and you decide to stay with Bose. 

Let me know if you need anything else. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W