Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

BOSE SoundSport Free - Cannot detect for Firmware Update

I have a SoundSport Free wireless headset. I am attempting to perform a firmware update because I have never updated the firmware and I am having issues with my iPhone 7+. It will often say Bluetooth is connected but when I get a call, it will not stay switched to the headset. In addition, there is no sound if it is connected.  If I tell the phone to forget the device and then set it up again, it will usually work with the phone for calls but if I use it for music then get a call, it stops working again.  Music seems to always work when connected but calls do not, randomly.  My issue now is I cannot get the computer to recognize the headset when plugged in and of course if that does not fix it, I am still left with the phone call issues.  See image for error.

Snipaste_2018-03-30_21-28-21.png

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: BOSE SoundSport Free - Cannot detect for Firmware Update

Hi chrisgore,

Thanks for reaching out. That is unusual behavior. As far as updating is concerned, if the updater is not recognizing that you are plugged into your computer could you try:

• Reseating the connections between on both the USB port on the computer and the case side.
  • Trying a different USB port.
  • You could also try using a different cable.
  • Lastly, if you have access to a different computer to try.

You should see something like this. Where the version is available. 

Please come back if you need anything else.

Tony-Community Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

The iPhone issues I suspect are due to the wonderful Apple IOS 11.3. 

I tried all the options for updating the firmware. Unfortunately to much chagrin, no go.  I have a few Bose stores not too far from me.  Should I run it to the store to see if they have any luck?  Would they have the means to try?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi chrisgore,

Thanks for responding. That is a good idea. Try another SoundSport Free with your IOS 11.3 to see if that is any better.

Please come back and update us,

Tony

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

I was not able to get the firmware to install via the computer.  I was able to get it to install with the iPhone app.  I have not been able to determine yet if my connection issue is resolved. I still think it may be an iPhone OS issue.  I now have iOS 11.4 and am still have some issues with switching connectivity between music and a phone call.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

Here is my final response until the next iPhone update or I change to another phone.  The firmware will update with the Bose App for iPhone.  It does not work with windows or mac with the application installed via any web browser and connected to the charging case, as of iOS 11.4. Switching between most apps and a phone call will require you to clear the current application from the background on the phone, disconnect the Bluetooth, reconnect the Bluetooth and then reconnect to the EarBuds.  You can then place a phone call with the Earbuds. If you attempt to switch back and forth from a call and another application, it will switch to the earbuds for the phone call then immediately switch to the phone, but not back to the other application.  The phone call will stay connected but will not stay connected to the earbuds.  Hopefully, Apple or the other application developers can find a solution otherwise the earbuds become a one or the other type of unit.  

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2018

Bose is got to be joking with their responses to this problem. It has been going on for a long time. It seems that the "quality" aspect of Bose does not pertain to solutions to their problems. I have emailed multiple times and placed phone calls. The operator on the phone acted as if I was the only person to have this problem and that "they would tell engineering of the problem to remedy."....all BS. It is a shame that they would rather blame operating systems, consumers computers or even SUB cords instead of fixing the problem. Even this response was somehow not allowed to be posted from my laptop....its brand new! All the support BS that Bose says it has in place do not work. Especially the "support" sections of the website. How long will Bose avoid fixing the problem?
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 31, 2018

whoever buying this expensive $200 will be regret, after complaining for not in sync with youtube, and whatever reason they given.. put a side for couple of month and now the phone just wont pair anymore...hard press the button also no respond...worst, connect to pc cant even recognise with the Bose updater..

Bose should get a world wide recall of this product and give everyone a refund..what a disgrace..

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2018

I had the exact same issue too with my Soundsport Free earbuds. Despite being able to play music via bluetooth, the Bose Connect App or the web updater could never detact the device despite me following all the directions and resetting multiple times. I have tested on three computers and two phones, and the Free could work on none of those devices.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

@cortexiv Hello, thank you for writing in. Sorry to hear about your experience here. This is not normal behavior, but if you've determined that your headphones are having detection issues across multiple devices, it could be an issue with the headphones. Please contact your local Bose Support for further assistance. They will work with you to discuss your service options. Here is a link to get contact information. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "contact us"

Let us know how everything works out for you.

Thank you again,

Mohsin