Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amaterasu1983
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 22, 2019

Re: Bose 700 Headphones Auto Shut-Off

Motionless Shutdown programming is the height of incompetence on Bose's part.  For god sake's you market these to be use on air travel.  What the hell do you think people are using this product line for?  Imagine utilizing NC to drown out airplane noise and when you doze off 10 minutes later it shuts off.  I travel once a week and the QC's have been my go to for years.  Bose was sending marketing communications to upgrade to the 700, I upgraded and barely got any sleep on my 8 hour flight.  It's been over a month and no patches to fix this.  If I had known this product was this defective would have stuck with the QC35's before giving them away.  Great job Bose dev team!!

Pmdaandiego
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

@Amaterasu1983 wrote:

Motionless Shutdown programming is the height of incompetence on Bose's part.  For god sake's you market these to be use on air travel.  What the hell do you think people are using this product line for?  Imagine utilizing NC to drown out airplane noise and when you doze off 10 minutes later it shuts off.  I travel once a week and the QC's have been my go to for years.  Bose was sending marketing communications to upgrade to the 700, I upgraded and barely got any sleep on my 8 hour flight.  It's been over a month and no patches to fix this.  If I had known this product was this defective would have stuck with the QC35's before giving them away.  Great job Bose dev team!!

VERY WELL STATED Amater!!!    

Bplsoccer9
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

I am completely astonished to find that my headphones shutting off prematurely is a "feature".  And to think that just a few days ago I had commented to a friend that Bose may be the one company on the planet that has my loyalty.  Returning these and going with Sony

SandroV
Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2019

Thanks for this thread. I thought my new 700 were broken as they turned off randomly. I use these headphones for:

1. Sleeping

2. Airtravel

3. Meditation

In all three scenarios they have shut down on me as - yes - sometimes I am not moving for several minutes. This is *extremely* annoying and makes the headphones mostly unusable for me. I woke up several times on a long flight with the headphones turning off to that incredibly loud string sound. 

I can not believe that anyone from your product management or engineering department deemed this a "feature". If I am not moving, it CERTAINLY doesn't mean I'm not listening to music or a podcast anymore.

Sure, all modern devies do operate with an "Off" timer: TVs, laptops, phones. However, all devices I currently own offer a switch lets you configure this behavior. 

I've been a loyal user for 10+ years and have owned probably 10 of your headphones. The new 700 are the first ones I'm genuinely unhappy with. From a very wonky setup (took multiple attempts) to this odd feature-set. 

Question to the support team + engineering teams: Is there even a plan to fix this?
If YES, I am willing to wait or even beta test a firmware update that includes a toggle for this horrible behavior.
If NO, that's also perfectly fine, but I will likely head over to Sony and try my luck there.

Let me know how to proceed. Thanks. 

dan.oconnell@gartner.com
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 12, 2019

It is five weeks later. Has Bose fixed this? Or at least indicated that there is a plan to fix this? Obviously many people use headsets for sleeping, meditating, and airplane relaxing, making the 10 minute "no movement shutoff" a deal killer for a large block of customers.  

henryjrm1970
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 29, 2019

Coming from the QC NC15 headphones and decided to upgrade after 10 years.  There are no issues with them, just wanted to upgrade. I've just had nc700 headphones just a week and thought there was an issue.  Really need this to be a priority to be fixed.  An ETA would be appreciated,  Otherwise these headphones are great for me.

thank you.

ADB23
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2019

Same issues, I can’t use them for meditation, flying or sleeping. When is the fault due to be fixed?

QueenBose
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 1, 2019

I just got these yesterday to be able to sleep with my husband as we travel. Even the salesman was told the reason. I used them for the first time last night and thought I was going crazy. Over and over again I woke up to the snoring to find headphones turned off by themselves. These work great for what I needed.... until they turn off. A real shame. Love the headphones, hate the feature. They are useless to me because of that. I will be bringing them back to Best Buy today and I will let them know why so other people are aware of this annoying feature. Guess I just saved a bunch of money. I would rather them have worked. Bose!!!! You really need to listen to your customers! I would buy them again in a heartbeat if you fixed this.

RedPill
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 1, 2019

Bose Noise Cancelling 700 - complete deal breaker on the motionless auto shutoff. And no, they are not that sensitive to movement as you state and they cut out on me constantly making them unsuable. 

The unchangeable setting that auto shuts this off due to no motion is simply a deal breaker on an otherwise quality headphone.  Maybe ask, or rather remind your team, why people buy noise cancelling headphones - sleep on a plane, meditation, relaxation....all things where you dont move and the system therefore shuts off automatically after only a few minutes.....and to top it off they make the setting unchangeable.....Have used this for one week trying to figure out the problem and a workaround but its a complete failure.

....and the team doesnt respond to the known problem.  Wow.

Have to return them.  Prefer this for phone calls to the Sony, and even the comfort is slightly better for me, but this constant cutting off is one of the saddest product mistakes one will find and makes it unusable for most of the hours and situations I and many others would use the device including myself. 

henryjrm1970
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 29, 2019

Also, it seems the auto shut off feature in the app contradicts the motion auto off...  Seems to me this was an oversight.  Or was the auto off feature suppose to include the motion and that some how on release, software/firmware was corrupted.   Bose should get this fixed ASAP before these headphones get a worse rap more then what they are getting right now for this issue..  It would go a long way with consumers if they fix this now opposed to later.