Rufus
Participant
Registered since

Sep 8, 2018

Bose On-Ear won't reconnect to Windows 10

Hi, apologies if this has been done before. I can find similar issues but not quite the same.

I have a pair of Bose On Ear headphones. They work great with my iPad. With a Windows 10 PC and an ASUS USB-BT400 bluetooth dongle however, things are a bit more problematic.

On first pairing/connection (when drivers need to be installed) or on system reboot all works fine and sound directs to the headphones instead of the speakers. The headphones are set as the default device in the Sound control panel (when they appear as connected that is).

If I turn on the headphones when the system is running though, they aren't recognised.  They're showing "Connected" in the "Bluetooth & other devices" panel but in the Sound control panel they're showing as disconnected. I can see in Device Manager under "Audio inputs and outputs" that the drivers -  Headphones (Bluetooth Hands-free Audio) & and the less-useful in this case Headset Microphone (Hands-free Audio) - are being activated and are staying hidden.  It looks like the bluetooth connection is OK but the device driver(s) don't appear to be being activated somehow.

I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" checked though I'm not sure that makes a difference (I tried unchecked, no dice).

I've tried disabling the Headset Microphone (Hands-free Audio) driver, no luck.

I'm using the official Asus device driver for the USB-BT400 but have also tried the default Microsoft one, either one no change.