Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magictom1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 II firmware 2.5.1 ANC is terrible

Relkma - 2.2.1 is working great for me. I could be wrong but thought I read (early on in this thread) people were bricking their headphones going back to 2.0.1...
relkma
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Magictom1,

Thank you - I'll try 2.21 when I get home.
pagefault
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 23, 2018

I just downgraded to 2.2.1 and there is a measureable difference in the ANC, I did readings myself with a whitenoise generator and a microphone placed inside the headphones. 2.2.1 does block out more sound (the sound levels are much lower than 2.5.1).

Whether the change to ANC was intentional or not, something has caused it to change maybe from some other fix that went into the firmware. Whoever is managing the software team there should look for whatever caused this regression in the code. There is a real and measurable difference between the two firmwares.

Someone should be serioulsy looking into this because it is a real problem.

TA
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

I would suggest not downgrading to 2.0.1, as I said earlier mine are bricked after attempting to go from 2.5.1 to 2.0.1. Although it might be fine if you go from 2.2.1 to 2.0.1, but in any case definately don't go down from 2.5.1 to 2.0.1!

magictom1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Thanks pagefault. “Measurable” is key. Wish we could double like comments. Bose, how about instead of just looking at the logs and saying “ANC wasn’t changed” and implying we are nuts, why don’t you investigate this? And at least recall the 2.5.1 update so our devices stop autoupdating!
rickwil61
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 23, 2018

Is there a way to turn off autoupdate in the bose connect app?

BlueJacket
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 1, 2018

I cannot find a sure way. In ios, i turned off cellular data for the app in the settings. While on wifi, I also try not to run the bose connect app, I believe it needs to be running to update the firmware.
Tichadok
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Hi all, I sent my QC35 II back to Bose France (through Belgium I think) last week to receive a new one after that failed update (using the Bluetooth - over the air OTA) that produced the little white noise and Noise Cancellation problem.
Hopefully Bose will have a pair of faulty headset to test it.
For sure the Bluetooth update has a bug that has to be fixed. I'm reading all messages from the beginning and didn't see anyone that updated with the cable and btu.bose.com website updater that had this problem. So for now, reading all your messages, it looks like it's a bug in the Bluetooth update using the Bose connect app that created this ANC malfunction and this white noise .
Also, it looks like everyone that updated with Bluetooth to 2.5.1 (with the app showing a successful update) and then connected with the cable and went to the website updater saw that the update failed. This feels like a major bug, and a reproductible bug.
So Bose can at least confirm that this reproductible bug is indeed a bug and that the software team is working on it.
I'll keep you informed when I receive my new headset hopefully this week!
magictom1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2018

Good idea, BlueJacket. I will also turn off the running in background feature for this app. For now I’m just avoiding it completely (I’ve buried it in a folder) as I also can’t find an off switch.

Hey Bose - if you’re reading this, would be awesome to have that feature added down the road (disable auto update - or at least download it automatically but don’t update until I hit GO, like apple’s iOS uodates).

On an unrelated note, so happy that I found this thread though and saw you guys mention how to downgrade my firmware. That bug was driving me up the wall. Almost sent my headphones back, and I use them constantly.
cjboorman
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 14, 2017

Hi Tony,

Just to be clear, you're telling us that the latest firmware upgrade in fact had no effect on the quality of the noise cancellation, and that anyone who believes that it did - is simply mistaken.