Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niels_D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 5, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 II firmware 2.5.1 ANC is terrible

I find it interesting that so many people notice the difference (this problem is mentioned all over the net) and that it is simply stated that nothing changed in the ANC in version 2.5.1...

Isn’t a software bug mostly caused by a change that was done somewhere else in the code and now created unexpected behavior and/or degradation of performance?

I think you should first do some measurements before you state that there is no problem. Please also share the results, so there is a quantified proof that nothing changed.

Bobben
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

I once heard the term "quality" defined as a measure of the difference between what the customer expects and what the manufacturer provides.  It doesn't really matter if a change was made to the ANC in the 2.5.1 firmware, or before, or if it's a bug of some kind, or if they provide quantified proof that the problem went away or didn't.  All that matters is that they fix it - word will spread quick enough.  Bose has made a name for itself as a supplier of high quality audio equipment.  Their products attract customers who are willing to pay for quality and for whom quality matters greatly.  Every QC35 II unit that is currently being shipped gives a new customer a chance to hear how good ANC technology can be, only to have that experience fall apart right in front of them when the firmware updates.  I suspect (hope?) Bose will address this in the next update, and soon, because their reputation for quality is harmed each and every time this happens.

I should add: on a positive note, my experience with customer service on my first return was absolutely amazing.

JennyG
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

Wait, Bose QC35ii are supposed to block voices too?

From day 0 I could hear people talk with the headphones on. Im on 2.2.1 since going out of the store.
I hear them better than without the headphones on since the headphones dull down some of the ambient sound but do next to nothing in the everyday uasge apart from that.
On the plane the difference in engine noise was huge and amazing but I could hear flight attendents talking 10 rows in front of me.
Also, there is a power drain when they are offline where 1 full charge holds about 1 week of offline storage until they drain and wont turn on. from 40% to 0% its under a day of offlne storage.

Since I live in a country with an Authorized Bose Retailer and not the actual Bose company I can't exchange or return them. All I can do is send to the labs under warrenty but the lab says it doesn't find it to be defected.

Crappy product, crappy service, wast of 450$, one of the worst purchases i'v made.

Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

@Niels_Dwrote:

I think you should first do some measurements before you state that there is no problem. Please also share the results, so there is a quantified proof that nothing changed.

Totally legit. xD

You are the one accusing, so you're the one who must prove something changed. This guy tried for example (even if in the end, firmwares had same ANC): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jTGfo1lSdM

As long as there's no one giving real proofs, don't expect anything. 😉

Niels_D
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 5, 2018

If there is so many people claiming that something changed it is not too difficult for a company who developed the product and has the tools to characterize the amount of damping over frequency to just perform a comparison test. As the guy in the video (which is by no means a scientific comparison by the way) also says, the ANC seems identical but the pressure feeling is different, if that is the case here as well, it turns into a discussion about preference of how it feels to wear ANC headphones instead of some software bug and quality issues.

Personally, with 2.5.1 I not only feel difference in the pressure feeling, but I hear voices more clearly. This is measurable.
Tomaz
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

@Pilou42

Actually, when I listen to this test, I can hear the difference @8:14. The reviewer edits the two recordings of the firmware versions one after the other. I can hear a very high pitched frequency noise disappear when switching from 1.2.10 to 1.0.6. It is a very crude test, the mic might be placed slightly differently, but still!

Anyone else?

I would also join the many people on this forum thread that say the "pressure effect" is lessened since the firmware upgrade. It might be me getting used to it (as suggested), however after listening to the test , comparing the two recordings, it seems it has to do with not cutting some of the higher frequencies. This is something @Bellyup suggested here. Granted, the video test is for the QC35 and not QC35 II. Unfortunately, I am not rich enough to test this by buying a fresh pair with the old firmware.

However, it seems we are not the first that notice at least the pressure change. @Shiloh_C from Bose reassures that there was no change made to the ANC in 2.5.1 firmware update. What if there is a kind of "wear and tear" change after a longer usage that is not software but hardware (electronics?) related?

Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

The "pressure effect" loss is normal. Well all had the same feeling. At first, it's "Holly sh*t, like an airplane taking off". For some people it's too much, they return it immediately. But with time, this "effect" disappears. For example, when I received the QC35 II (original firmware) to replace the QC35 1, I did not feel the pressure effect. I'd even say I was not impressed that much with ANC. And that's normal. Brain adapts itself and manages to hear background noises you would not hear at first (**bleep** concentration).

The 2nd problem I heard in this thread: the electronic white noise. It is normal, you need this for ANC to work. But it's possible with time you will find it louder. In my case, I never felt any difference, but I can hear it, I just accept it, since as soon as there's music, I don't hear it anymore.

The 3rd problem I heard: No differences between "Low" and "High" setting. As I explained some time ago (in another thread I guess), if you want to hear the difference, go somewhere windy, or take a fan, point it near your headphone, and you will hear the difference between Low and High. "Low" really reduces "breeze" sound in your ear.

Anyhow, as I said earlier, if you can't prove there's a defect, there will be no move from Bose. I don't say your QC35 is not defective, I just mean you have to prove it. but be careful, don't be surprised if you find ANC less efficient with time, it's just your brain fooling yourself. You can compare with another headphone and you'll noticed it is not "that bad" after all.

PaddyO
Participant
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

Ok I just did the Sydney to Melbourne run and I found the ANC on the aircraft to be just as I would want it, all the usual sounds blocked out and I fell asleep on the return leg. So I am happy with 2.5.1  I have to say....

BlueJacket
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 1, 2018

I am in the bus with QC 35 II, with firmware is 2.2.1, i got tricked by google assistant and upgraded to 2.5.1, immediately hearing more background noise, engine noise was not there before now i can hear it, AC noise was very faint now very loud. I am going to call Bose for a replacement.
HubertusWurst
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2018

Hello,

I bought the Headphones last week and read this forum before updating.

After reading all Articles I decide to update step by step. I used my PC and not the App to update.

The original Version was 2.0.1. I updated to 2.1.3. I noticed no Difference. Than I updated to 2.2.1. I noticed no Difference. All works perfect.

Tomorrow I will update to 2.5.1. I dont think there will be a difference to 2.2.1 but we will see.

The only thing that has changed was the fact that the app automatically tries to update the headphones after updating to 2.1.3.

Kind regards