Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 3, 2018

Bose QC 35 : Mid and High Noise Cancelling Settings the same

Please help.

I've noticed since the last 1 or 2 updates, the noise cancelling on both mid and high settings are the same. Usually with the high setting, it is more quiet. 

Is there anything I can do to resolve this ? 

Thanks heaps.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Bose QC 35 : Mid and High Noise Cancelling Settings the same

HI

Thanks for posting. We can confirm that no changes were made either intentionally or unintentionally to ANC in any of our headsets. More information can be found here.

An ANC Note From Your Community Moderation Team

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 7, 2018

This is wrong at best or a straight up lie at worst! I just updated my firmware on my QC 35. I was using my headphones less than two hours ago on the old firmware. I had NO prior knowledge of anyone experiencing these issues, but as soon as I started using my headphones after the update I could tell something was wrong. The high pressure sensation in my ears was gone and I could hear the white noise of my fan even with the headphones on. That was not the case before. Not even close! I get that this is almost impossible to prove but something is different.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 3, 2018

Hi, 

I am rather disappointed with the response. I can categorically and accurately say that my 'high' noise cancelling setting has totally deteriorated. I've only got my headphones for ONE year and I can absolutely say with a very high degree of accuracy that there is NO "WOW" factor with the high setting. From my apartment I can now hear dogs barking, cars going past which I previously couldn't a year ago. Something is terrible wrong with this. Can this be corrected ??? Paying $400 for something that is not fit for purpose is something the ACCC might want to hear aboout.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 31, 2018

I have the same issue.

I've had a Bose QuietConfort headset since QC 15.

I bought the QC35 II earlier this year and ran into a white noise issue earlier this year and resolved with an upgrade.

A few days ago I started having problems with noise again.

I bought a set of new ear cushions to have on hand in case because from experience it's not good to have them disintegrate and have to wait for shipping.

Even though the ear cushions are only 6 months old and not visibly worn out or damaged I replaced them.

The white noise seems to be gone bu the noise cancelling dows not noticibly change when shifting through low-high.

I can tell the high is blocking more noise but just barely more than low.

The problems I have are:

- I can't easily distinguish between low or high modes and this is not how the set worked when I first got it

- I don't understand why white noise was occurring with ear cushions not even one year old

I was replacing ear cushions on my old QC headset once every 18 months because I wear these constantly as I'm a software developer and they help keep my focused as I work.  At $35.00 a pair I don't want to replace ear cushions twice a year.  And I'm concerned there is a hardware problem in the headset because the noise cancelling has been changing since I've owned them.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Interesting. After I haven't worn them for a while (as I own many headphones) I took them to work today in a train, having the usual not so favorable pressure feeling. At lunch I started the app on my phone and noticed a new firmware. I installed it and then I used a bus to get to my daughters school... But strangely I did not experience that pressure feeling anymore and have more noise comming through.... Which made me to look at this forum. Something changed definitely.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 3, 2018

I can't believe a company like BOSE will just brush their customer's feedback just like that. 

There is clearly an issue with this ANC which has been reported by numerous customers.  

VERY disappointing attitude to say the least ! 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 10, 2018

Yeah, I'm similarly disappointed. If your tests show that nothing is happening, but users continue to report that something is happening, that means there was something wrong with your tests, NOT that there's something wrong with your users.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Sobo,

Thanks for responding. I can see how frustrating that can be. I can only reiterate what we have previously stated that we have heard the reports in the community and done exhaustive testing and can confirm that no changes were made to ANC. Here is the post that details what we have done.

An ANC Note From Your Community Moderation Team

We also have a post that has some troubleshooting tips.

QC35 ANC Troubleshooting and Informational Guide

Remember if you feel that your product is defective, for any reason we would encourage you to contact your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see " Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 10, 2018

"...done exhaustive testing and can confirm that no changes were made to ANC. "

This is where I think we're talking past each other, Tony. Many users, both on these forums and on others, are reporting the exact same problem happening under the exact same circumstances. When I updated to 3.1.8, my ANC stopped working almost entirely. There is no difference between medium and high ANC, and my high ANC has been reduced to MAYBE 20% effectiveness. Others are saying the same thing is happening to them, so clearly changes WERE made to ANC.

You follow my logic, right? Can you see why it's frustrating to report an issue that others have reported, only to be told that the issue is not actually happening? A happens, and then B immediately follows for countless users, then it's reasonable to assume that A caused B.

Can you tell me what sort of testing is being done right now? If you've ruled out 3.1.8 being the cause, what else are your teams lookig at right now? For example, when I updated through Bose Connect I was in an area with poor service, so I was only able to get part of the update done before I had to go home. Then the update restarted and completed. So your team has decisively concluded that 3.1.8 is NOT the cause of the issue; are you looking at Bose Connect? Or updates started and then restarted? Or updates downloaded on a poor connection? SOMETHING is happening. I accept that it is not caused by 3.1.8, but don't tell me my ANC hasn't changed.

Your troubleshooting tips have not worked for me. I have contacted my customer support, and they offered me a discount on a new pair of headphones (I'm a month out of warranty), but, aside from money being an issue in the holiday season, I truly don't believe I should have to pay to fix a pair of headphones that were broken by the people that created them. If I had broken them myself I'd understand (granted, I'd definitely try to get a discount on a new pair), but I have treated these better than I treat anything else I own.

@Tony_G, in your response I'd really like to hear what else your people are doing to fix this issue. All I'm seeing from your community response team is the same thing again and again: "ANC has not been changed, here's troubleshooting tips, here's how to contact the right people." Well, ANC has been changed, troubleshooting has not worked, and I am not satisfied with the option to spend $200 to fix my $350 pair of headphones.

What else you got?