Re: Bose QC30 Phone Call Noise Issue - Far end call person always complain lots of noise in back ...

Thanks for responding open dialog is what makes the forum work.

@mutant The manufacturing change was implemented in December of 2016 to address concerns about microphone performance.

@N8 If a replacement headset is exhibiting the same behavior it is likely the result of the relationship between Active Noise Control and side tone.  We have heard the desire for a sensitivity adjustment feature. These concerns have been shared with our engineers and they are looking into it. We plan to have some clarifying information about side tone posted soon that will explain some of the reasons for this behavior. 

Thanks

Tony

rrungta
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Re: Bose QC30 Phone Call Noise Issue - Far end call person always complain lots of noise in back ...

I got my 4th replacement with manufacturing date of 14th Feb 2017 and its the same problem whereby the surrounding noise is amplified.  

Robertpetry
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Just to add my voice to the chorus, I have had the same issues that pretty much everyone has had with the Mic on the QC 30.  My first pair was dated Oct 5 and background noise while on a call was an issue but not to the point where the headphones were unusable for calls.  And then the 1.2.x firmware update came out about a month ago and any background noise destroyed my ability to speak on the phone.  I can only use these in very quiet surroundings.

So I called support and Bose sent me a new pair, mfg date of 2/27.  Nice and new.  

Same issue.  

You must fix this with a firmware update.  ASAP.  

Reviews on Amazon and elsewhere are littered with the issue.

Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Thanks for confirming the month, @Tony_G.  So it seems my pair is original hardware.  Interesting.  My first thought is that I should contact Bose Canada and arrange a replacement pair, but from @Robertpetry and @rrungta's replies, it doesn't sound like it would help.  I'm actually concerned it might make it worse.  As-is, I can actually take the odd call as long as I'm in a quiet environment and be careful of what noises I generate while on the call.  They actually work quite well under those conditions.  I just have to be very aware of my surroundings, and take the call on the phone itself (or some other means other than on the QC30) when there is some background activity/noises.  

EDIT: @Robertpetry I completely agree that they need to fix this ASAP.  Fortunately for me my primary usage is just for listening and they work well for that, but it would sure be nice to be able to take calls under most or all conditions without worry.

Robertpetry
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Mutnat,

I use mine mostly for listening as well and these are absolutely fantistic at that use case.  Sound quality and overall ANC is outstanding.  If I didn't care about listening and ANC, I would pick up some backbeat pro's or LG Tone higher end headsets and save myselft $150.  

But I work for a living and take quite a few phone calls.  I can not be switching from one headset to another just because my use case changed.  These need to be as good as my QC 20's are (they are excellent for both calls and ANC/Sound quality) but wireless.  I would just stick with the QC 20's outside of the cord, which is a PITA.

I just don't get it.  I understand the concept with the sidetalk or whatever they call it where they are piping in your own voice.  But they either need to get to where they can use software to isolate your own voice, or give me the option to turn it off.  This RUINS a fantastic set of headphones.

Highlighted
Robertpetry
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

BTW, Bose, I would be more than happy to beta test some software or discuss the issues with someone.  Not customer service, that is not helpful.  Someone who is involed in product management or a software/product owner.

Just an open offer...

N8
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 27, 2017

I do volunteer as well for beta testing as I do have calls for hours each day.

Hi,

We don't have a beta program available currently. We greatly appreciate everyone's willingness to help and if we do develop a proper beta program for headphones, we will sure give the community first shot at it.

Thanks

Tony

rrungta
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Tony, 

Its very surprising that Bose is not acknowledging issues with QC30.  

The product description for QC30 does not mention anywhere that the ANC is just limited to listenting to music only and not for calls. If Bose was doing that, then it would be an individual choice and I would have never purchased it. I was looking high and low for a bluetooth earphone with ANC and convenient as well and was excited to buy the QC30 but subsequently have been completely dissapointed. 

You mention that mic quality has improved for newer models (manufacturing in Feb 2017 onwards) but that is completely incorrect. My current replacement has date of 14th Feb 2017 and just today I was walking in Oxford Street, London and my caller could hear all the background noise really well.  

Bose needs to properly test and acknowledge the issues that so many customers are reporting not just one or two. 

Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Robertpetry wrote:

This RUINS a fantastic set of headphones.

@Robertpetry well put.  It really is quite disappointing.  

@rrungta wrote:

The product description for QC30 does not mention anywhere that the ANC is just limited to listenting to music only and not for calls. If Bose was doing that, then it would be an individual choice and I would have never purchased it. I was looking high and low for a bluetooth earphone with ANC and convenient as well and was excited to buy the QC30 but subsequently have been completely dissapointed. 

Bose needs to properly test and acknowledge the issues that so many customers are reporting not just one or two. 

@rrungta agreed.  Interestingly, if you look at the QC30 product page (at least the US version, I haven't looked at any others:  https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/quietcontrol-30.html#v=qc30_black), they definitely are focusing on LISTENING scenarios.  I don't see very much marketing copy referencing phone calls, at least from a quick look.  Here's some excerpts:

Listen like never before with new breakthrough technology: now you can control how much of the outside world you want to let in. Noisy commute to work? Block out the distractions. Waiting at the terminal? Let some in, and catch your boarding call. Then turn it back up after takeoff. Throughout the day, noise won’t get in your way. Unless you let it.

If you’re on a busy street and need to turn it up, the sound stays true to your music.

So you can focus on the music.

They are definitely pushing it as a listening device from what I can see.  Maybe with good reason 😞