Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lilmidgetgrl
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2017

Bose QC35 Bluetooth range

Hello all,

My new QC35 headphones seem to have a dismal bluetooth range, I'd say about 10 feet, maybe 15 if I stretch it before it starts crackling in and out. Is this normal? I had a pair of bluetooth  headphones before this that had a significantly better range/signal (I was able to walk all over my house and still stay connected with no sound quality problems)

37 REPLIES 37
Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

Re: Bose QC35 Bluetooth range

I use it only with a twelve-foot distance but, as Class-2 Bluetooth, it should be good for 33 feet (ten meters).

Do you have another transmitter that you can test with?

Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

Edit...

I just did a quick test and, in my case, it appears that the 33-foot range does work.  Admittedly, it was only a 30-second test.

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi lilmidgetgrl,

Nice to see you again.

What devices have you used as sound sources?

Are you having similar results with different devices?

ST

PS - did you see the reply in this discussion?

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-Power-switch-bluetooth-pairing-switch-not-wor...

lilmidgetgrl
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2017

Yes, I've tried it while connected to my PC as well as my Android phone, with the same results (the laptop and phone are the same as the ones i've used with previous headphones). I only have one other bluetooth capable device, but it's a cheap-o device from an Asian street market so I wouldn't really trust the results of that anyway.

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi lilmidgetgrl,

There are some standard things that you can try.

QC35 Reset
Have you tried resetting the headset? To reset the headset:
Turn the headset off and wait for at least 30 seconds.

Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).

Unplug USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

Is your firmware up to date?

Please make sure that your firmware is up to date using one of the following:

Bose Connect app (IOS and Android)

Bose® system update center (Windows)

Note: If you don't like the results of updating your firmware.

Here are the instructions to initiate the firmware downgrade procedure:

1. Go to http://btu.bose.com on a PC or Mac computer
2. Plug your headset into the PC or Mac via USB
3. Click on the QC35 product
4. The update page will load and tell you the software is up to date
5. When on this screen type the following 5 keys sequentially: ‘a’ ‘d’ ‘v’ ‘<up arrow>’ ‘<down arrow>’.  
6. Choose 1.0.6 from the drop-down menu, then click “apply changes”
7. The Firmware will begin to load.  This process may take between 5 and 10 minutes depending on ISP and network conditions.  Do not disconnect the headset until the process is complete.

-- Source with screen shots

Environment

This may not be a factor for you because you have tried a different Bluetooth receiving device and gotten better results than the QC35.

I find that my results with Bluetooth are highly dependent on the environment. My QC30 are good for 20-30 feet with clear line-of-sight. When I turn on the microwave oven that drops to 15.

Are you able to take your phone to a retail store where they have QC35 available to try?  Take your QC35 and compare the results. If there's a difference, then you've got good information to share with Bose support.

ST

UITA
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2017

My other pair of BT headphones have a far better range (Bluedio Vinyl). Just did a quick comparison and the QC broke up far quicker, OK they don't have ANC but then again they cost around £200 cheaper!

leedesert
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

I'm having the same problem with mine.  At first I thought it was my TV, Samsung 65", but now after purchasing the Soundsports for the gym I tried those and they work great.  I can walk all around the house just about with no audio loss.  The QC35's only go about 10'.  I have the latest update and have tried deleting the pairing and re-pairing multiple times.  Now that I compaired with my Soundsports and another brand headset I realize it's the QC35's.

I also did the procedures listed in prior posts with no improvement

EHKruse
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

I noticed it too.  But it has to do with the bluetooth "class", not the version or the implementation.  I'm happy that there isn't a class 1 radio strapped to my head all day every day.  I would even be OK with class 3, although I'm thinking this is class 2. 

For longer range, there are RF based wireless options.

leedesert
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

So are you saying the QC35 is a different class then the Soundsport or other BT headsets? 10' range is acceptable? If i have to have my phone in my pocket the whole time whats the benefit of even having BT.