Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UITA
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2017

Re: Bose QC35 Bluetooth range

Glad this old post came around. I made a similar post commenting on the very poor range. I have a £35 set of BT headphones that out perform these. I'm in such a pessimistic place though regarding these QC35s that I'm resigned to the fact that Bose could care less!!

EHKruse
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

Well, this device is actually designed for portability with the assumption that you are in close proximity to the source, which is the point of bluetooth class 2.  Class 1 extends the range, but it's like holding a cell phone next to your face for hours at a time.  Probably not the safest choice a person could make.  There is a whole different market for headphones that you can hear wirelessly, while mowing the lawn, with the source being far away, even 300 feet, through walls.  The high range 300 foot headphones aren't bluetooth, they are RF.  This headphone meets it's intended market.

So yes, there are different "classes" of radios in each bluetooth device, which range from 1mw output, to over 100mw output.  Each device manufacturer chooses what they think is optimal for the intended market.  There are certainly bluetooth headphones you can get right now, cheaper, with 100 foot range.  But range has it's drawbacks when you are talking about Bluetooth specifically, since bluetooth is in the microwave spectrum.

leedesert
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

That didnt answer the question. I understand the different classes. Are the QC35 a different class then the Soundsports because they work the way all BT headphones I've tried. Even Bose says the QC35 shod work out to 30' so I'm not sure your point
EHKruse
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

They may be a different class.  You will have to do your own research on that.  I'm giving you the information necessary to figure out what to google.  But yeah, 30 feet is optimal conditions in the desert on flat ground, with no interference.  30 feet is just an industry standard statement for this class 😉

EHKruse
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

I just looked through a bunch of reviews and materials to see what the soundsport has.  Looks like all i could find was "30 feet" which would probably be class 2 radio just like the qc35 apparently have.   So that isn't the difference.  Nevermind on that.

Too bad they don't publish better information!

UITA
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2017

@EHKruse wrote:

Well, this device is actually designed for portability with the assumption that you are in close proximity to the source, which is the point of bluetooth class 2. 

You know I don't remember seeing that on the box!! Thanks for the response though at least I get an informed answer rather than "try ringing this number" or "have you tried switched them on and off again!?".

jardru1981
Participant
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Were you able to resolve your issue with bluetooth range? I have the same issue. 

MoonBug
Participant
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

This thread has been around a while, I'm a little late to the party. But the range on my QC35s is also dismal.I can put my Galaxy S8 in my breast pocket, a foot or so away from the QC35s, outdoors so little likelyhood of any 2.4GHz interference which being high frequency will only carry so far, unlike something sub-Ghz, and they still cut out regularly. I had same problem on a Galaxy S7 and S6 that I tried. Looks like the receive sensitivity is low. But the Galaxy phones do fine with other BT and BLE devices. I'm a BSEE and work in the industry so I spend a lot of time with many other types of BT/BLE devices doing IoT (Internet of Things) and the Bose are seemingly the worst range of all. Yes the phone is in my pocket surrounded by light fabric, but I am only asking them to receive from 12" - 18" max. If I slip the phone in my jeans pocket at waist level, forget it. It will blank for seconds at-a-time. If I put the phone completely unobstructed on something like a table top, line-of-sight I might get 10 feet before it starts to break up. I will lose it altogether before 20 feet. Disappointing really becasue everything else about these headphones is great.

UITA
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2017

@jardru1981 wrote:

Were you able to resolve your issue with bluetooth range? I have the same issue. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty sure it can't be. There's so much talk regarding ANC, it seems that bluetooth isn't as much as an issue for some! A £329 pair of headphones that cuts out if you bend over!!

leedesert
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

Just as a follow-up, bose sent me another pair and they do the same thing. Once you get more than 10 feet away from the source the headphones start cutting out.