Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xlsmile
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Re: Bose QC35 Bluetooth range

Hi everyone,

Just bought QC35 and tested it with iMac, iPhone 7 and iPadAir. Its bluetooth range is terribly poor – about 5 meters. I also have Sennheiser PXC550, which gives me TWICE as much range as Bose does in the same environement and with same devices. What's wrong with the Bose? Has anyone managed to extend the Bose's BT range by either resetting the headset, or by upgrading to the latest firmware, or by other means?

leedesert
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

The range on these is horrible. Bose even replace mine with the new set after doing all the steps to try to make it better and the new pair does the same thing. It's just the way they are made which is piss poor as far as Bluetooth range.
xlsmile
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Thanks leedesert,

Argh, seems like that's unfortunate. Hopefully, smth. can be done via wireframe future upate, if poor Bose's BT range is not a purely hardware issue. There is definetely too much hype about QC35.

xlsmile
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

HI MoonBug,

In your case you definetely need to replace your QC35 unit if you have a warranty cover. I had a similar problem with my first pair of Bose's and replaced it with a new headset with no probs. However, the replaced one would give me only about 5-6 meters of BT coverage, instead of claimed 10 meters.

xlsmile
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Just updated my QC35 with 1.2.10 firmware. I tested BT range in the same environemnt as I did with 1.0.6. The range has improved slightly (by 1.5-2 meters). However, Bose is still lagging behind Sennheir PXC550.

TMF
Participant
Registered since

Jul 15, 2017

Well I just bought the QC35 ($450) to replace a Philips SHB7150 ($80).  The range on the SHB7150 was easily 175 feet in a fairly noisy environment (lots of high frequency induction).  Sure, it crackled a bit when the microwave was turned on, but it still got the 175 feet.

So while the noise cancellation as well as the comfort level of the QC35 was amazing, the bluetooth  was very subpar.  The range I was able to get was 50 feet in the same enviroment using the same device (Moto Z).  I noticed that when I went to change the volume, it started to cut-out.  So I suspect that maybe the antenna is only located in the right ear piece. 

wwwolf
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

Likewise, shockingly short range. In some environments mine drop out occasionally even walking down the street with my phone in my pocket, which is disappointing - especially since the 'backup cable' is only 3 pin not 4 pin, so when 'wired' they become simple headphones not proper phone ones 😞 Yes, the noise cancellation is great, but I'm still disappointed that I can't even cross the room to make a cup of tea without losing the music, either from my MBP or my iPhone. There are a lot of devices sharing the airwaves in here, which I guess doesn't help, but colleagues are still cheerfully walking to the far end of the building wearing their (much cheaper) class 2 headphones. Shame. My phone app is currently 'preparing update' (which is taking a staggeringly long time, despite having a very fast internet connection), and I'll see if that (which is presumably a firmware upgrade?) improves things at all.

wwwolf
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

Fascinating - I have updated the firmware (to 1.3.2) and the range from my iPhone has increased substantially, but it has made no difference at all from the MBP. Weird. Anyone any idea what might be causing that difference?!

Miko88
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

Hello - so far, I'm experiencing much the same range problems. Testing out the QC 35s. Great sound, great noise cancellation. But the sound cuts out when I go into the next room. I have an older MacBook Pro (mid 2009, 10.7.5 Lion), so I assumed the MacBook BT was the problem. I'm considering a dongle or adaptor such as: https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Range-Bluetooth-Adapter-GBU321/product-reviews/B000CDWNSW/ref=cm_cr_dp...

If it's the QC 35s fault, what are other headphone alternatives? Noise cancellation would be nice.

xlsmile
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Hey, Miko88. I have both Bose QC35 and Sennheiser PXC550.Sennheiser PXC550 is much better in dealing with bluetooth range and the strengh of its sinal. Bose keeps the range of 10 meters if there are no obstacles on the signal way, while Sennheiser can deal with walls/windows/other stuff and deliver the sound no problem within 10-12 meters. I'd say Sennheiser is twice as better as Bose in bluetooth capabilities. BTW, I've tested 4 or 5 Boses - same crap!