Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miko88
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

Re: Bose QC35 Bluetooth range

Thanks a lot, xlsmile. I'll have a serious look at the Sennheisers. Both are pricey. I would use them in my apartment with my MacBook Pro (mid 2009), for music and the radio , Also for travel occasionally.

BTW - do you have wireless headphones for your TV? I've been searching for a way to use these same headphones with my Sony Bravia. Sony says use RF. Many people try third party BT transmitters in the TV's headphone jack (or optical out) - but every transmitter seems to have a good number of people who say there is some "acceptable" audio lag (which won't work for me). The QC 35s use A2DP, while many of the transmitters haw "low latency" aptX. Apparently, one needs compatible headphones and transmitter for it to work at all. So either I try out a BT transmitter (some say they work perfectly) or buy RF headphones just for the TV 😞

xlsmile
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2017

Sorry, I don't have dedicated headphones for TV, as I don't have a TV set. However, I use Bose and Sennheiser for all other devices (except TV :o)) at work and home.

Miko88
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

Thanks

sarahherriot
Participant
Registered since

Aug 23, 2017

I have just purchased these headphones, and have a bluetooth range of about 3 feet.  Feeling pretty peeved, not sure how to fix... any help in easy to follow instructions for luddite!

wwwolf
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

Hi Sarah, While it appears these headphones do not have as big a range as some other BlueTooth headphones, 3 feet is a bit ridiculous. The range seems to vary quite a lot with device and with what else is going on in the immediate vicinity. So, in my office where there are quite a lot of other BlueTooth devices in action, with my MacBook Pro I get a really short range, but I think it might be to do with proximity of the laptop to a big Dell screen with a USB hub in it etc. At the same desk, with my iPhone I get a MUCH bigger (and acceptable) range. I also got significant improvement by using the iPhone app to update the firmware in the headphones. Do you have any other BlueTooth devices you can test with to check whether the problem is specifically with the headphones or possibly with the device you're connecting to. If you're fairly confident it's the headphones, and you can test them in a fairly 'clean' environment with the latest firmware, and you still get a ridiculously short range, then do contact Bose -- there have been some instances of this reported and Bose replaced the headphones, solving the problem. Good luck! I'm loving mine, except for the moments when I forget they're connected to my MBP instead of the iPhone, and I try to go make a cup of tea...

leedesert
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

I've done everything bose has suggested and had my QC35 replaced, same issue. Their BT range is just poor no matter how you slice it. My other BT headphones never have this issue. Last bose headphones I'll ever buy.
EHKruse
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

I can't speak to your particular setup.  However, I know that we are always contending with 2 bluetooth radios when we form a connection, and there are various classes of bluetooth.  The transmitting side must also be capable of 30+ feet.  In my experience, the 30 feet on the Bose headphones is under the best conditions, with no obstructions.  I can walk 10 feet away, and recieve a signal on the other side of a wall with my computer's bluetooth dongle, or close to 30 feet with no wall.  However, with my cellphone bluetooth as the transmitter, I can't get a signal through a wall, or more than about 15 feet away even without a wall.  With the cell phone, i can wave my hand and lose signal.  

Pretty sure the QC35 is a class 2, and about as much radiation as you would ever want strapped to your head.  There are headphones out there that will give you a sunburn on the side of your face (sarcasm) and let you run down the street and back without losing signal, but you won't catch me wearing those. 

Miko88
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

Thanks. I returned by QC 35s. Too many glitches. I'm going to wait until  BT (or another wireless) technology gets better, before I invest that much money. I bought some much cheaper BT ear buds instead. I also got a Kinivo BT dongle, which should work with my MBP 2009 (10.7.5). I'll see if my Mac will allow me to choose it (vs internal BT). I've heard that you one needs to disable the internal BT on the Mac first. And some say put it on the end of a USB cable, to increase range or solidness of the signal.  I'm curious about how your dongle works.