Highlighted
Jinantha
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 21, 2019

Bose QC35 II - Crackling and popping sound at high volume.

Hi,

I'm from Dubai, UAE. I've been dealing with the service center for Bose authorized dealer here in UAE for my issue stated in the subject.

And the technicians keep sending back saying there is no issue.

I had to travel far to the service center in Jabal Ali in UAE and meet the technician face-to-face and explained and showed him and made him listen to the issue. Then he knotted his head and too it back for service and after few days they replaced me a brand new unit saying "replaced due to special condition", but unfortunately that unit too has the same issue. And I sent it back. But now the same technician messages me and says my test audio source was faulty.

I ask you, if it was faulty, then why was I given a replacement?

that is not all, I asked him simply. Why is it that I do not have the issue when I play the same test audio through the Bose provided audio cable? He still stands by the fact my test audio file was faulty.

I ask anyone with common sense of basic troubleshooting, how does this test scenario fails? How come there is popping/cracking noise when I play high volume high pitch audio around 16khz though Bluetooth line and there is not when I play through the direct audio cable? Kindly explain me please??? is there a some sort of passive circuit build into the audio cable that I do not know of???

Below are the 2 service center reports with the device serial numbers.

I'm still fitting this battle with the dealer here and I will not give up! I will prove my case that there is a factory defect in the units sold here in UAE though this dealer. My next action is to take these unit to a test lab and get a audio report. 

Wrote to in_support at bose.com. No reply so far. What I wrote to them below.

Spoiler

On Thu, 7 Feb at 12:16 PM , Jinantha Perera <jinantha@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Bose,

I have purchased the below item of yours knowing that yours were the best in the industry.
Which prices are being in the premium range, these headphones should not have any audio defects.
It was to my unfortunate luck that I got to knew after using the headsets for about a month that there is a well known defect in them.
Too bad I missed to check any reviews before buying these. Being a tech-savvy person, I usually do not do that. But I never though Bose would make such a low quality unit for there customers. Lets say it was genuine defect in there line, be honest and recall them!!! It shows how good of a company you are Bose.

Anyway, enough of my rant.
See the original purchase invoice below. It authenticates my purchase.
See the service center response.

I have no way of contacting the service center personal who had actually tested my unit in Jabal Ali. 
So that I can show him the bad audio noice that I here from these headphones. 
When I handed over the headset to Jumbo service center in Al-Fahidi, the personnel who accepted my unit too noticed the defective noices. He then when ahead and handed me a pair of Bose inear headphone sets to check, and they had no issue. 

Please check these headphone sets with the following links,
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE VOLUME AT HIGHEST.
The Ultimate Headphones (and Earphones) Test (Play the 22 kHz >> 8 kHz audio file, you'll see what I mean.)

I tested this with your old versions of QC, Bose inear set and Sony WH1000XM3, issue seems not there in them.
So I need to test and confirm my findings and recall these unit(s) and give me a full refund or for a exchange to a unit which does not have this defect.

Hoping for a favorable reply asap.

-Regards,
-Jinantha Perera

Service reports below.

***Moderator Edit***

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Re: Bose QC35 II - Crackling and popping sound at high volume.

Hi Jinantha,

Thank you for taking the time to try out the headset and I'm sorry to hear about the issues.  I can understand your frustrations and would like to help!

• In this particular case, was the headset tested with different mobile devices at all? 
  • What was the primary source device and software? 
  • Do these issues happen between the 50-80% volume range?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Jinantha
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 21, 2019

Hi Tony_A,

Thank you for your response.

To answer to your questions in sequence,

1. Yes. I tested this with my HP Pavilion DV6 laptop, HP EliteBook 840 G5 laptop. Iphone 6S (Middle-East version). IPhone X (IOS version 12.1.2 (16C101) ) and Xiaomi Mi max 2 (Android version 7.1.1 NMF26F) mobile devices. I tested all devices with Bluetooth on and off with direct audio cable (IPhone X tested only with Bluetooth as no headphone jack. Cable provided by Bose with the headphone set).
  2. Primary devices are,
    • IPhone 6S. Software: IOS 12.1.4 (16D57), IOS YouTube app version 14.05.
    • HP Pavilion DV6. Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit. Ralink Motorola BC8 Bluetooth 3.0+HS Adapter. Driver version 3.0.3.303, Driver date 3/23/2011. Chrome web browser version Version 72.0.3626.119 (Official Build) (64-bit).
    • HP EliteBook 840 G5. Software: Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R). Driver version 20.10.0.9. Driver date 14/11/2017. Chrome web browser version Version 72.0.3626.119 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  3. No, only at max volume. I listen to all my contents at max volume.

Thanks.

Hi Jinantha,

Thanks for responding. Based on what you are reporting, I would recommend contacting your local support team at this time. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G 

Jinantha
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 21, 2019

Hi Tiny G,

I've been in contact with the local Bose service center and have sent the unit 3 times for inspections and repair.

First, they returned the unit stating no fault found.

Second, I personally went and met the technician who did the inspection and showed him the issue. He took it back and few days later, replaced me a brand new unit. (I had provided service records with my post. I see that the moderator had removed them)

Third, I again sent the brand new unit saying the issue is there in the new unit. Still they returned it back to me saying no fault.

Furthermore service center insisted that my source of audio testing is NOT approved by Bose. Which are YouTube.com and the website audiocheck.net.

They insisted that I check with Bose authorized audio source like iTunes.

Which I did, and found the same fault.

This thread will not be or ever be resolved, as Bose will not claim responsibility and accept that there is a design fault in there units (at least sold in UAE) not I will accept my findings are fault.

Since this forum is moderated by Bose, you may wish to keep this as is or remove me and my posts.

Utterly disgusted about Bose and there support!

-Jinantha