Highlighted
OutrageousMind
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 5, 2019

Bose QC35 II - Hands-free profile cause bad input/output audio and turns off the ANC.

I have been using my Bose headphones for about two months now. In the beginning, when receiving calls or entering discord voice chats through my phone, the receiving audio quality was very good and so was the outgoing audio while the ANC kept running. However, a couple of days ago, the headphones started turning off the ANC and both outgoing and incoming audio turned quite bad. Note! The audio is fine when I am listening to music. 

I have read through some of the available threads (related article) and after experimenting with the audio settings for the headphones on my Windows PC, I had concluded that the phone or headphones enter a  "Hands-free profile", while the headphones are used for anything related to the built-in mic on my phone. I have tried to do a product reboot a few times with no results.

The related thread had issues with headset mode, but it seems like the hands-free profile has similar effects. I would really like for the headphones to keep running on the stereo settings with ANC on and be able to use voice communication on my devices, as the surrounding sound becomes much worse while the headphones are on. Lastly, is there any explanation on why my headphones acted differently just a couple of days ago?

Best regard, 

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose QC35 II - Hands-free profile cause bad input/output audio and turns off the ANC.

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

Hi OutrageousMind, 

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to welcome you to the Bose Community! 

I am sorry you are having issues with your headphones. To start with, could you please confirm if you are having this issue on your phone and your computer or just your computer? If it is just on one device can you please confirm what applications you are using when the issue presents itself and what operating system is your device running on? 

In regards to your question,  'is there any explanation on why my headphones acted differently just a couple of days ago?' that is certainly strange that it started just a few days ago. Is it possible that there may have been an update on your computer? I am asking this because the headset itself has no control over what profile it uses, the connected device controls this. Just for added information, when using the hands-free profile, the ANC is on, but sidetone is enabled so that you are able to hear your own voice on the phone call. 

To start trying to fix your problem, could you please ensure that your headphones are running on the latest software. To do this please go to btu.bose.com on a computer and follow the instructions on the screen. I would also advise looking at this post here to look to solve the issue. 

Let me know how you get on. 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bose QC35 II - Hands-free profile cause bad input/output audio and turns off the ANC.

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

Hi OutrageousMind, 

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to welcome you to the Bose Community! 

I am sorry you are having issues with your headphones. To start with, could you please confirm if you are having this issue on your phone and your computer or just your computer? If it is just on one device can you please confirm what applications you are using when the issue presents itself and what operating system is your device running on? 

In regards to your question,  'is there any explanation on why my headphones acted differently just a couple of days ago?' that is certainly strange that it started just a few days ago. Is it possible that there may have been an update on your computer? I am asking this because the headset itself has no control over what profile it uses, the connected device controls this. Just for added information, when using the hands-free profile, the ANC is on, but sidetone is enabled so that you are able to hear your own voice on the phone call. 

To start trying to fix your problem, could you please ensure that your headphones are running on the latest software. To do this please go to btu.bose.com on a computer and follow the instructions on the screen. I would also advise looking at this post here to look to solve the issue. 

Let me know how you get on. 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

OutrageousMind1
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 5, 2019

HI Vicky_W, (I had problems getting on my account so I had to make a new one)

Thank you for your reply. I am able to change profile on my computer, and it works fine. However, I mainly use the headphones with my phone. It's a xiaomi pocophone x1 and it has xiaomis' own OS (MIUI) and its on the latest version. Is there any way to manually force the headphones to change profile on your phone then, similar to how you do it on the computer? (can't find anything on the app).

I forgot to mention that I did a software update on the headphones prior to writing that post on that same page you had provided. Other things I did was to:

• Check the phone for updates 
  • Check the bose app for updates
  • Restart the phone
  • Clear the pairing-list on the headphones
  • (again) Reboot the headphones
  • Un-paired and re-paired them with my phone.

Best regards, 

H

Hi OutrageousMind1, 

I am really glad the fix worked for your laptop. Thanks for providing the troubleshooting steps you have already tried. 

As to fixing your phone, we cannot recommend a solution to fix this issue, however other users have found success in accessing the developer options on their phone and tweaking the settings as you did on your laptop. This page here https://www.syncios.com/android/how-to-enable-usb-debugging-on-xiaomi-pocophone-f1.html will talk you through unlocking developer options on your phone, you can ignore the bit about USB debugging, as it's not needed for troubleshooting this issue. Please be aware that tweaking the developer settings needs to be done with caution and if you do not feel confident in doing this you can go to your local mobile phone repair shop and they will be able to help you. 

I hope this helps! 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W