Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexanderWoo
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Bose QC35 II Wireless headphones: Disappointing noise cancel system

Hello, my name is Alex. I bought my QC35 II Wireless headphones very recently, around 4 days ago at Seattle USA. I am currently in Shanghai, China for work and I will stay here for 2 months due to business. I have to say, I was very disappointed with the noise cancel functionality of this product. I have changed the noise cancelling to the highest but surrounds are very penetrating. I bought Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system around 5 months ago. It was very costly, but I was satisfied and amazed. When using the headphone at cafe, I can hear the background music and people`s conversations word by word. I barely feel any noise cancel even with it on the highest setting. I have purchased multiple bose products through out. Even the sound system in my car is bose. I was never disappointed with bose products until now. I would like to believe that my headphone specifically has an issue. If that's the case, I would like to get it replaced with a new product. However, if this model has a very low noise cancel functionality in general, I would have to ask for a refund. Bose has an international warranty so I would like to know the procedures for those two cases. I have owned many bose products and was always satisfied. I wish the same for this headphone as well. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Bose QC35 II Wireless headphones: Disappointing noise cancel system

Author Accepted Answer selected by AlexanderWoo

Hey @AlexanderWoo,

Thank you for sharing your experience here with us. We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed. The best course of action moving forward would be to contact your local Bose Support. Here is a link to get contact info. Just select your region and scroll down to "contact us". 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Trance_85
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 23, 2018

I think you may be overestimating just how much noise can be cancelled by noise cancelling headphones. It's not really for cancelling immediate sounds like voices, it's for constant drone sounds like airplane engines etc. What you might be better off with is in-ear type earphones with comply foam tips rather than noise cancelling over ear headphones. Those will isolate you better if you don't want to hear voices but will let through low frequency sounds like constant rumbling noises.

AlexanderWoo
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Your opinion perhaps could be correct. However, I dont think I am overly expecting. I did own a QC20 2 years ago and it was very nice, I was satisfied with the noise cancel ability as well. I out on my QC35 during my 12 hour flight from Seattle to Shanghai, but the noise of engine were still audible, enough to be distracted. Yes, it has reduced, but I dont think it did, as much as it should be. I also own a Sony MDR 1000x and in comparison, my bose still performs a little weak. Even in taxi rides from work to home, noise of the engine were still audible, (it was a diesel car).  

Bellyup
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 8, 2017

Hi Alexander,

you are not alone feeling this way.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-II-firmware-2-5-1-ANC-is-terrible/m-p/1...

And you are NOT overly expecting.

What you say about WC20 being better, and Sony 1000x/1000xm2 being better as well is true

The issue with current ANC performance of QC35/QC35II is even more critical due to the physical design of these headset cups which tend to passively amplify the outside noises (more so than other brands like Sony, B&W, B&O).

Try it by just putting your QC35II on your head without switching them on. You can clearly hear the outside noise amplified somehow (resonance box effect).

So, excellent ANC processing is mandatory.

It was the case when QC35s initially came out, but sadly it is not true anymore. By far...QC35/QC35IIs are now barely better than average closed back headphones.

AlexanderWoo
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Thank you for your reply. Feels comforted and sad at the same time for not being the only one feeling this way. Yes, I agree to a great extent that the QC35 II design passively amplifies the surrounding noise. Without playing any music through the headphone, only with noise cancel on, I tried taking off and on my head repeatedly. At first, I doubted my ears but I realized that especially in taxi or cafe, surround sounds are amplified through the bowl shaped head. 

At this point, since it has not been more than a week of my purchase, I am wanting to refund. But I dont know if this can be done in Shanghai China as well. I bought this at Seattle USA. Any clues?

Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by AlexanderWoo

Hey @AlexanderWoo,

Thank you for sharing your experience here with us. We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed. The best course of action moving forward would be to contact your local Bose Support. Here is a link to get contact info. Just select your region and scroll down to "contact us". 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

maxnuk
Leader
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

it's not only you who is disappointed... after these new updates, it looks like the bose really slowed down the ANC's ability!

we're hoping she'll fix this on her next update!

Thanks,
Marcel M.
AlexanderWoo
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Yes, it seems like I am not the only one who is dissapointed. I really wish the bose provide a solution to this and if updates can fix this, I will be more than happy to keep it. Thank you for your comment.