cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbudhram
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 13, 2017

Bose QC35 possible to add aptx support via a firmware update?

I love this product, but it would be awesome if it supported the aptx low latency codec, so I could use it for gaming.  aptx (aptx.com) is a codec by Qualcomm that enables audio transmission in under 40 ms, so there's imperceptible delay on the receiving end.  As it is, it receives audio 1/2 a second after it happens on screen, which is a bit jarring for games.

Is it possible that this could be added via a firmware update?  I'm assuming this is a software issue, but I'm curious to know if they could do it or if they'd have to release an entirely new product.

13 REPLIES 13
Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

Re: Bose QC35 possible to add aptx support via a firmware update?

@sbudhram wrote:

I love this product, but it would be awesome if it supported the aptx low latency codec, so I could use it for gaming.  aptx (aptx.com) is a codec by Qualcomm that enables audio transmission in under 40 ms, so there's imperceptible delay on the receiving end.  As it is, it receives audio 1/2 a second after it happens on screen, which is a bit jarring for games.

Is it possible that this could be added via a firmware update?  I'm assuming this is a software issue, but I'm curious to know if they could do it or if they'd have to release an entirely new product.

Sure they can do it but will they?

seanfraser
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

Hi Bose,

I am in the same situation as sbudhram. I have the QC35 bluetooth headphones but experience a very noticable audio lag when watching movies and streamed content on my Lenovo Carbon, Windows 10 based machine. 

I've upgraded my QC35's to the latest  QC35 Firmware Update V1.3.2 but still experience audio delay when watching Apple Trailers (trailers.apple.com) or Netflix through Chrome browser and see only slighly improved performance if using the netflix app but still a delay nevertheless.

To test my own sanity, I went out and purchased another pair of bluetooth headphones from another company, TaoTronics TT-BH16 to see how they fair on the whole synchronization issue. I hate to say it but there is no noticable delay at all with any of the content I have played. I tried netflix through different webrowsers (Chrome, IE, Edge), Apple Trailers on chrome, Netflix app and youtube which are my most common uses for the BT headphones and it worked flawlessly. 

Okay, I'm sure there is delay on the TaoTronics but likely <40ms and not enough dampen my movie watching experience. I can't measure the actual delay on my QC35's but to guess it is perhaps ~200-220ms, possibly a bit more. This is based on using wired earphones that are perfectly sync'd and using VLC media player's option to adjust audio/video lag until it is comparable to what I experience with the QC35 using bluetooth.

The biggest difference I could find is that these earphones have aptX audio codec which I have seen mentioned a few times here on the forum so the question from my side is:

1) Is aptX audio codec reliant on specific hardware or is this purely a software implementation to smart BT earphones such as the QC35?

2) Is aptX audio codec part of the QC35 firmware roadmap and if so, can you provide an anticipated release date?

Unfortunately if I am unable to resolve this synchronization/lag issue, I will need to return these earphones as I cannot justify the price otherwise. The QC35's sound great while my TaoTronics earphones only sound good... but the TaoTronics have no lag and in the end, that's what matter most to me.

Thanks.

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi seanfraser,

Thanks for the questions.

AptX does require a specific Qualcomm chipset be used in order for the high quality codec to function. Firmware alone would not change the headset and make it compatible.

I don't know if adding aptX support to the QC35s or any Bluetooth headsets is on the road map(personally I hope it is as my personal music collection is entirely FLAC) but I will send the recommendation to the engineers.

Have you tried updating the Bluetooth drivers on your computer?  Reason I ask is because I use my QC35s all the time on my android phone and Windows 10 laptop, both for gaming and Netflix and on both there isn't any delay whatsoever.  The only time I get delay on my QC35s via Bluetooth on my Windows 10 laptop is when I also have another Bluetooth device connected (Xbox One controller).  Do you have anything else connected to your computer via Bluetooth, maybe a keyboard or mouse?

Thanks,

Brandon

seanfraser
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate that the QC35 is unable to support aptX. If providing feedback to product management, please share with them them details on the Sony MDR-1000X, a competing headset in the same class as the QC35. This set of earphones does support aptX codec and greatly reduces any audio latency improving the experience when watching video.

Sony MDR-1000X from aptX website:

https://www.aptx.com/products/sony-mdr-1000X

Sony MDR-1000X Codec support:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176186.html?search=aptx

To answer your other question, yes, I did update all drivers on my Lenovo Carbon machine and it is the only bluetooth device connected to my machine.

Commitment from product management to implement aptX support on the QC35 would be a huge benefit to the many users of these headphones here on the forum.

Sincerely,

-Sean

ben.sakkerkelly
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2017

Cannot agree with other comments enough. This is a major design flaw with the headphones, which is preventing me from using them for one of the major purposes I purchased them for.

Please do convey the need for this in a firmware update.
simon83
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2017

I'm also experiencing a ~400-500ms delay on my Windows 10 PC when gaming, and this is my only bluetooth device connected. I'm using the latest drivers on my PC as well as latest Connect app and Firmware version.

At first I thought this must be a bug in the game or something, but thanks for confirming that the delay is caused by the QC35.

I'm now definitely returning my QC35 headphones, especially with all the other problems I've faced so far. They are simply not worth the money. The audio quality and noise cancelling is nice, but everything else is just subpar.

jdholzen
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2017

I went to my nearby Bose store in the mall complaining about this very issue. It all began when I moved into my new apartment on the corner of two busy streets. Dumb move. At first, I didn't think the traffic noise would bother me, but I was wrong.

Shortly after moving in, I purchased an LG OLED TV and discovered that it had built in Bluetooth. That's when I was struck with the idea of purchasing a pair of Bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones. I read some quick reviews on the QC35 and immediately headed to my local Big Box store and bought a pair. Needless to say I was disappointed when I discovered the latency mentioned in this thread.

With 30 days to return them, I went back to the store and bought the Sony MDR-1000X so I could compare the two side-by-side. Sure enough there was minimal delay on the Sonys. I did more research and learned about AptX and how the Bose headphones don' t support it and the Sonys do. "That explains it!", I said.

On the plus side, however, I discovered that the QC35's do support ACC and the lag is therefore bearable on iOS devices. This includes pairing them directly to my Apple TV, where I guess I'll be watching most content since I decided, despite the latency issues, to keep the QC35c over the Sonys. Yes, I returned the Sonys mainly because they don't disappear on your head like the QC35s. I need to be able to wear them for most of the day due to constant traffic noise, so in my case, the QCs superior comfort took precedent over the Sony's AptX support. I figure I can live with the lag and hope that Bose fixes this issue.

Which brings me back to my visit to The Bose Store... After I described my issue to the clerk, he suggested I go ahead and return the QC35s, because, he exclaimed, "there's something coming out in late August that will solve your problem." He said, "you've never seen anything like it before." So, he took down my contact info and said he'd call me when it comes out.

So, I wrote all of this just to ask this question: What could possibly be coming from Bose in late August 2017 that might solve this latency issue and at the same time be something, "I've never seen before?" Really...?

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure he said that it was going to "blow my mind"... Very intriguing. Hopefully, someone here has something to share. If not, we'll just to wait and see. Let's hope that whatever it is, it puts this latency issue to bed. Especially when taking into consideration the fact that headphone jacks are disappearing.
Gremlins
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Made an account just to say I couldn't agree more. This issue needs to be addressed immediately.

After spending nearly $300 on headphones, We shouldn't have to deal with latency issues, especially when other headphones (like the Sony ones) do better with latency for the same price.
Eggcake
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2017

Also registered just because of this. For me the headset is unusable if I use both the microphone and the speakers on a Windows 10 machine (only device connected). This is really unexpected and I am hugely disappointed in this device.
Having heard that a qualcomm chip is needed for aptX I highly doubt that any fix for this product will be coming. Sadly I am unable to return the device so I will probably sell it or buy another headset for my PC...