Rylant
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Bose Sound Sport Free Multi Function Button Not Working Properly

So, I have struggled with my Bose Sound Sport Frees from day one. The sound quality and comfort are among the best I have ever experienced, however, the constant connection issues and left ear drops have been incredibly frustrating. Also, Bose seems to think that denial and misdirection seems to be the best way to address the issue, rather than standing behind their product and being accountable. As I said; incredibly frustrating. Especially in light of the fact that I used to hold them in such high regard. 

That being said, i soldier on with them. Lately, on top of the already frustrating issues, my multi function button will no longer pause or skip music. The volume controls work, and if I hold the multi function down, it activates Siri, so I know the button is actually functional. I have updated to the latest firmware of the Sound Sport Frees and use an iPhone X with the latest update. Also, I have a 2nd generation Apple Watch, which I used to be able to control the volume and pause/forward function with when listening to music through my Sound Sport Frees through my iPhone, however I am no longer able to do that anymore either. 

I am am sure I am just missing something simple, but any help to make my already disappointed experience less negative, and I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Rylant

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Bose Sound Sport Free Multi Function Button Not Working Properly

Hello Rylant,

Thank you for reaching out to the community. Sorry to hear about the experience you are having, and I understand why this would be frustrating. We definitely want to help you out here.

I see that you made sure to update your headset, great idea. If you do not mind, let’s go through a few more troubleshooting steps together to see if it will help.

Regarding the earbud dropping its connection, have you tried clearing the paired device list from your headset and then re-pair back to your iPhone? If the left earbud turns off and it does not wake by pressing the Bluetooth button, the battery in the earbud may be fully drained. To verify this, place the earbud back in the case and let it charge for a minute. Remove the earbud and allow it to re-connect. Kindly open up your Bose Connect app to the check the battery percentage. If it’s close to zero, it needs charging. Could you verify this? 

I also understand that it will no longer pause/skip tracks, does this issue occur with only one app? Could it be possible to pair your headset with a different mobile device just to test the Multi-function button with?

Please do update me with your findings when you get the chance!

Thank you again and take great care.

Mohsin - Community Support

KyleCherry
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 23, 2018

I'm also experiencing the same issue.  I have an Android phone.  To make it confusing, when I bought the headphones the multi function button did not control music, I thought maybe thats just an Android version thing, but for some reason it started working about a week after purchase.  Now, about 2 months later, its stopped working again.  I have unpaired, repaired, uninstalled the Connect App and nothing fixes.  From within the Bose Connect App, it also has no Music control and seems to no recognise when music is actually playing.  While it was working, the connect app recognised that I did have music playing.

Frustrating for a product with such a reputation for quality to have niggly little issues....

Sgarcia
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 21, 2018

I’m having the same exact issue... the button will not skip tracks while paired with my Apple Watch (gen2). The volume buttons work with the watch and all buttons work when paired with my iPhone X. This issue started last month.

@Sgarcia Hello, thank you for writing in. Seems like the headset is working fine since it works with your iPhone. Have you checked out this thread? It's related to an Apple Watch pairing issue, and it might help you get some ideas. 

Can you check back with me and let me know if it helps with buttons?

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

KyleCherry
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 23, 2018

Nice, a moderator chimes in when there is an answer....  ignores all the previous Android complaints, I guess there is no answer for those.

kbfinney
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2018

I am having the same problem when playing music through my apple watch.  The pause/skip button works with music from my phone but it does not work when playing music off of my watch.  I have the latest software and I have unpaired and re-paired the watch and nothing works.  Please help.

kbfinney
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2018

Sgarcia
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 21, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this thread did not help. I have paired and repaired several times

@KyleCherry thank you for joining us and sorry we missed you! Just a few questions, if you do not mind:

Can you tell us the make/model and Android version of your device?

What app do you primarily use to stream music, and have you tested with others?

Is it possible for you to test your headphones with another mobile device? 

We understand you are frustrated and we want to help in any way we can! Let us know with an update when you get the chance. 

Thank you,

Mohsin