Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danbob00
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2017

Bose Soundlink AE2 pairs and connects but won't play sound

We bought a brand new Bose Soundlink AE2 headphones, they work fine with Chromebook and iPhone, but will not work with Windows 10 PC. When I connect to Bluetooth on the PC, the headset shows up as paired, then connected. The Bose AE2 Soundlink panel comes up too, but gives an "Error establishing connection." (see attached photo) If I click OK it says "Connected" but Bluetooth headphones don't show up in the list of audio playback devices. At one point I had it appearing there but with no bars indicating sound, and the audio icon in lower right had a red X over it. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, and now it doesn't appear there at all.

I thought at first this might have something to do with the USB Bluetooth adapter we were using, so I bought another one. But it doesn't work with either adapter we purchased (from different vendors), and other Bluetooth devices do work, like a wireless mouse, so I've narrowed it down to the headset itself. Any suggestions?

Screenshot (1).png

3 REPLIES 3
Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Bose Soundlink AE2 pairs and connects but won't play sound

Hi Danbob00, 

Thank you for writing in. I appreciate your effort in getting us to understand what you have done already, that is very helpful! Interesting to know the headset is working fine with all your other devices.

Have you tried clearing the paired devices from your headset and also double checked to see if there any updates available to the Bluetooth drivers from the manufacturer?  

Let me know if that helps! 

Thank you,

Mohsin

danbob00
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2017

Yes, I tried clearing the paired devices from the headset. I am using Windows 10, which automatically installs drivers for Bluetooth audio. At one point I tried installing older drivers specific to my USB Bluetooth adapter, but this didn't work either. I also updated the firmware on the headset itself using the Bose Device Updater.

But, I'm not aware of any drivers specific to the Bose headset, where would I find/update those?

Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

@danbob00 Sorry, I was referring to any updates available to the Bluetooth drivers on your computer by double checking with the manufacturer. 

Thanks again!

Mohsin