Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

Bose Soundsport Free - Left Bud Not Working on Macbook Pro ou PC (connecting as headset)

Hello, i bought on middle October a new pair of Bose Soundsport Free.

Now in middle November the left side is not working properly, on my macbook pro and asus notebook its connect as headset (i think) because just one side work for sound, same as what happens when you get a call on phone while using it.

On my iPhone its working fine, both sides as audio when using ipod, youtube e etc, and when i get or make a call its change to headset state (just right side function as audio source). But its used to work normally on my notebooks, and i even checked everything with drivers but nothing changed from the time its used to work until the problem started couple of weeks ago.

The only thing i can think that happened in this time before the problem, was one day the left side started to disconnect alone, even while using on iPhone. I tried to put em back on charging case, but wasnt solving, so i let the battery die complety and recharged to full... its started working again but on notebooks its connecting via headset.

Been searching the forum and noone found any solution, and the worst, Bose seens to dont care about the costumers. Im really sad and don't think will every buy another Bose product (i have wireless audio box, bose quietconfort wired and a bose soundsport wired) because its the first product i needed support and can't find any light in the end of tunnel, i bought while in NYC in Oct/2018, but i live in Brazil, and here the support is even worse....

I really should have bought the AirPod (and now i recommend for everyone) at least Apple have a really good support (and i've never heard about their product with software problem that arent solved in about 1 and half years, like this Bose headphones)

My thoughts: They should have never made this option to connect as headset on calls, tried to make a complex software but dont have knowledge or quality to do it properly.

If anyone have any information that can help me i would appreciate, or i probally trew in trash can USD$ 200,00 because i wont be able to return since i live in Brazil.

Tried to follow the clearing device lists and reconnecting problem persist

Tried to put back on box (multiple times) and problem persist

Tried to reinstall the bose connect app and problem persist

And the headphones are uptodate on firmware

I wonder if have any way to reset to factory settings to see if clear any miss configuration it might have now.

PS: sorry for my english, its not my native language.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 15, 2019

Re: Bose Soundsport Free - Left Bud Not Working on Macbook Pro ou PC (connecting as headset)

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Finally, this worked...https://community.bose.com/t5/In-Ear-Headphones/Soundsport-Free-and-MacBook-Pro-connection/m-p/19192...

I just had to change the input to macbook and output to headphones.

Why would this be a case?

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 4.08.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-21 at 4.07.58 PM.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Bose Soundsport Free - Left Bud Not Working on Macbook Pro ou PC (connecting as headset)

Hi MarcelBrazil,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear that headset has started malfunctioning in such a short period of time.  Based on all the troubleshooting you've already tried, it does sound like there is an issue with the headset.  If it was purchased just this past October, it should still be covered under the one year manufacturer's warranty.  HERE is a link directly to our support for Brazil.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 27, 2019

Same thing is happening to me, I already recontacted 3 of my friends who were to buy them so they didn't given Bose hasn't solve this with a firmware update and pretty sure they won't fix it.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Legtzp,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue. At Bose we take pride with our products and will release firmware updates to resolve any firmware issues. If there is an issue with the latest firmware for your Soundsport Free earphones, please bear with us for this to be released.  However if it is not a firmware issue, may I ask if you have tried other troubleshooting steps at all? If you have and this issue is still persisting please contact our Customer Support Team in your region for further assistance. i have included a link which you can follow, all you need to do is select your region, scroll down to the bottom of the web page and select "Contact Us" which will provide you with their contact number.

Contact US

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 27, 2019

Hi Leon!

If you had read the original post that the person created above you'll see he followed all those steps you guys suggest to do in other posts, but still suffered from the same errors, as I stated in my previous comment I'm going through the same situation and followed all those troubleshooting steps. I did try all of the steps you guys suggest. I really hope it's a firmware error and something your company can fix, because if it's not firmware it's hardware and that would cost money to the company you work for.

I think the next steps is for you to escalate this with your supervisor and check if there's a way the product team can solve this, that would be a highly effective customer support. Just asking people to contact the customer center or ask for a refund it's not really helping at all, that's not beneficial for Bose, instead fixing the issue would foster the engagement with the brand knowing our complaints are heard and later resolved.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

Just updated soundsports to 2.6 version.

Left bud stopped working.

I tried all the remedies.

Clearly this is not an isolated problem.

Never had this problem with 2.5.6

Need a fix please.

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thank you for posting,

On another thread, some of our users have found a way of getting the Earbuds to connect with stereo on their mac every time. If you select the accepted solution option on the page linked, it will take you to their answer. 

@neiliovirilio, Has the left bud stopped working on any connection? or is it just with the Mac or PC connection we have?

Hope this helps.

Keith - Community Support - 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 15, 2019

Same case with me.

I have updated the firware, software, macbook, restarted, resetted, updated everything possible. It works with different ipads, iphones but never with mac... please update on what is the next step. I am ok to wait for a fix until 1-2 weeks.
Can you confirm if your lab is able to reproduce this problem on the newer macbooks (OS and version attached) but works in older mac? If yes then it seems to be mac problem and not Earphone. If you are not able to reproduce this, I need a replacement. 

This did not work for me:https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/One-side-of-qc35-not-working-when-connected-to-macb...Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 2.32.08 PM.png

Highlighted

Hello rusa007,

Thank you for your input and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry that you are also experiencing this issue when pairing your SoundSport Free Wireless Headphones to your Macbook and PC. 

I completely understand that you may be frustrated with this situation and we are keen to help you find a resolution so that you can enjoy using your headphones. 

A lot of newer computers are intelligent enough to support many Bluetooth profiles such as A2DP, HSP, HFP, etc. However, it is believed that some computers have difficulty in recognizing the correct profile with the headset. This means that when you are connecting your headphones, your computer could be reverting to Headset Profile(HSP)/Hands-Free Profile(HFP). With the SoundSport Free Wireless Headphones, the right earbud acts as the master and sends signals to the left earbud for audio play. Therefore, when taking phone calls, as you may already know, you can only use the right earbud. This leads me to believe that if your computer is defaulting to HSP/HFP, then audio will only play through the right bud as it will think it is using the headset for call purposes only. 

The good news is that many users have found a workaround for this. It is recommended that you try clearing the Bluetooth list on the headset and forgetting the headphones on your devices Bluetooth list, then re-pairing and repeating this until your device connects to the correct Bluetooth profile. 

However, if you find that this does not work for you, my best advice would be to contact the manufacturer of your device and query if there is a way to force your computer to select the A2DP Bluetooth profile when connecting the headset. 

I wish you the best of luck and of course, if you need any assistance, please get back to me and I will be happy to help.

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 15, 2019

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Finally, this worked...https://community.bose.com/t5/In-Ear-Headphones/Soundsport-Free-and-MacBook-Pro-connection/m-p/19192...

I just had to change the input to macbook and output to headphones.

Why would this be a case?

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 4.08.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-21 at 4.07.58 PM.png

View solution in original post