Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ckipp
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Re: Bose Soundsport Free Left Headphone Drops

Officially calling it quits

After nearly 3 months of frustration and 2 product replacements, I returned my latest pair of Soundsports today. I tried all the advice on this board and applied all firmware updates as soon as released.  I called tech support four times - shockingly every time I spoke with someone they claimed to have no knowledge of any issue with the left earbud dropping. They all claimed I must have received a faulty pair and had me go through the replacement cycle. 

My conclusion is that these are a great pair of fitness headphones if your idea of fitness of staying indoors (at all times), remaining perfectly still (at all times) and have a small (or empty?) head.  I agree with the other posts - I don't understand who is posting all these positive reviews online!

My biggest frustration in all of this is Bose customer support.  This was the email I received today after logging my final complaint and getting a full refund (after a 30 minute argument).  "At Bose we are obsessed with customer service, and we are constantly looking for ways to make things better. We can’t help it, it’s just who we are. We care about the details which matter most to you."  Start by listening to your loyal customers.

mooneric
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2018

So I just read this entire board and there is still no update on status of this fix. I got mine last week and have been experiencing the same left ear drop issue since day one. I've only used it indoor gyms and mostly weight lifting without much movement of my music source. I have written reviews on their product page but apparently they "review" your product reviews and negative reviews in regards to this issue is not being posted or shown up where people can read. Are you guys seriously trying to keep this major problem under the rug and continue to sell this defective product? If it's a hardware issue I would expect a recall for already sold units and replace it all with fixed ones. At this rate I would not be surprised to see a future class action law suit and Bose taking a hit similar to Samsung with their Galaxy Note
M Bennett
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2018

I contacted Bose tech support regarding the same issue I've been having with the left headphone dropping out intermittently and to troubleshoot the issue was instructed to:

• Press the Bluetooth button on the Left earbud to wake it up
  • Turn Bluetooth off and on in the device.
  • Remove the headset from the device's pairing list.
  • Clear the paired device list in the headset and source device (phone, computer etc).
  • If the software was just updated, try updating it again.

As expected – this does not resolve the issue (in addition to the entire system shutting down in cold weather +/- about 10 minutes in temps of about 10 degrees fahrenheit).

Bose has advised that they will be shipping me a replacement set with:  

“the latest and updated software installed and it will be a brand new replacement. It will be the same model though. And rest assured that the issue you are having with your old one will not occur in the new replacement.”

Lets see what happens. But, after reading this forum I don’t have much confidence…

tcarrion
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 12, 2018

I just got mine from Amazon. I am having this exact problem, and it’s annoying!!!
But it happens only when connected to the Apple Watch (S3 by the way), when connected to iPhone I experience no drop outs, even outdoors and walking. But when connected to AW the nightmare begins!!! I have two AW, one original and the other S3. With the original is even worse, the dropouts occurs all the time everywhere!!!
I ordered this through amazon and then shipped to Brazil, where I live. So no chance to return them I think. I’m extremely disappointed and frustrated, just with hope Bose can resolve this in a short period of time...
njklutz
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 22, 2016

And Bose tells us to contact them.  I did on line.  Not even the courtesy of a response.  They say they will contact me within 48 hours.  A weel later silence!!  Very disappointing.  

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi njklutz

Thanks for posting. I am sorry for the delay in getting a response. I would recommend calling for quicker service. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us"

Tony

NCC
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

In my case I switched to larger earphone rubber tips/adapters included with the product and I haven't had the issue since. May be the problem is a sensor sensitivity instead of the signal from the right earbud.
njklutz
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 22, 2016

Thank but I am already using the largest ones

tcarrion
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 12, 2018

I did some tests. My wife have the AirPods so I conducted comparative tests.
I did one extremely simple that proves the Bose’s connection stability is nothing compared to AirPods. You just need to place your palm against any of the earbud and the left earbud immediately cuts off. If you place both palms to each earbud you can even cut connection between the source and the right earbud.
Is hard to replicate that with the AirPods. The only form to disturb the AirPods connection is covering both earbuds suddenly at the same time with your hands, but not always the connection is lost. So that proves how much stronger is the AirPods connection.
Also proves how easy is to disturb the Bose’s connection.
I believe has nothing to do with software, is just how the hardware were design.
njklutz
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 22, 2016

Very interesting but not at all helpful.

I went to return my black headphones to the Paramus, NJ store.  The clerk said he had heard of the issue with only the black ones that were manufactured earlier.  He had not heard of the issue with any of the colors and suggested I try that.  I took the blue home, charged and synched and upgraded the firmware.  This morning on the way to work they were fine on the train but the same problem on the streets of Manhattan - the left bud disconnected.  I guess these will also go back.

Interestingly I called the Columbus Circle, WTC and White Plains stores.  None were aware of this being a problem to so many of us here.

So much for Bose monitoring these comments and sharing issues with their staff, let alone coming up with a solution.