Highlighted
Eclipse
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Bose Soundsport Free Left Headphone Drops

Hi,

I am having minor issues with my soundsport free. The left headphone occasionally drops this tends to occur mostly when I am walking outside. I was wondering if there was a way to improve the connection. From what I can tell the right headphone seems the relay sound over to the left since the right headphones never drops out.
316 REPLIES 316
Puma_free
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 22, 2017

Re: Bose Soundsport Free Left Headphone Drops

Hi

I am a huge Bose fan and made a 40 mile drive yesterday to pick these up. I like everything abt the earbuds. They are light, sound great and grip so well. i own an acoustimass, qc20, a qc35, soundtouch, micro and a soundlink mini. Never had any issues with any of these.

But I took my earbuds out for a run today and I was so disappointed. I am facing the exact same issue. When running/walking, the left earbud keeps dropping connection. Happens only when i am running/walking outside. Inside the house, i do not have any issues.

I upgraded my firmware, cleaned the buds, charged them a 100% but no luck. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this if at all it is fixable? I will give it a few more days and if this continues, i am returnimg these. Not what I expected from Bose.

Good morning folks,

Thanks for reaching out!  To explain a bit more in detail about the SoundSport Free's design - they utilize the Truly Wireless technology that uses a master and slave bud connection.  The right earbud is the master bud where your connected device transmits audio to.  Then, the right earbud transmits audio to the slave bud, the left.  This design's major benefit is that it allows us to be completely wireless.  However, due to the construction of the connection, there can be a potential for audio interference which could account for the audio dropouts from the left earbud that you are experiencing.  

I would recommend trying clearing the pairing list and starting with a fresh connection.  To do this press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds or until you hear a voice prompt stating that the list is cleared.  At this point you'll want to delete the headphones from your paired device and reestablish the connection.  

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes,

Shiloh_C 

randaya
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

I just picked up my Soundsport FREE's yesterday at best buy (traded in my soundsport wireless). Loved the soundsport wireless as far as sound and comfort but sometimes the wire got annoying. When these were announced I could not wait to get these. 

Took to the gym this morning and during my 1 and 1/2 hour workout, the left piece cut on and off about a handful of times. It was just an instant cut off but connected right back after maybe a 1-2 seconds. Honestly it was annoying. After reading some of the complaints and the responses from Bose, sounds like this is a normal thing and probably will not get fixed. That is a big disappointment to me to be honest. For $250, you might expect a flaw but not with the connection. If these were $150, I could maybe accept the connection issue. I have 15 days to see if the connection gets any worse but I am thinking about returning them and maybe trying out the Sony versions (WF1000x I believe). If not, going back to the Soundsport wireless. I'd rather deal with the wire than the connection issue. 

This sucks if it wasn't for the connection issue, I'd definitely keep these no question. 

elguapo
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

I have the same identical problem with the left Bluetooth droping out a handful of times at the gym during my morning workouts. Lost connection on the left piece, after 2 seconds regained connection. 

I am a runner who runs for 45 minutes, and lift weights afterwards at the gym. When I received my Bose Soundsport Free I was very excited because they are completely wireless. Before ordering these from Bose I had been listening to my music using 

Bluetooth Headphones I bought at Amazon for $30, probably made in China. Never had a problem with the reliability of the connection, my only complaint has been the cable dangling on the back of my head, kind of annoying when running on the threadmill. I usually leave my iPhone in my gym bag while I'm working out, I could easily walk a few feet away from my gym bag without losing BT connection.

My dissapointment is with the reliability of the BT connection. This morning when I was working out the left ear connection was dropping out a few times when I was moving my head from right to left, my gym bag was right next to me probably no more than 2 feet away from where I was.

I updated the firmware and that did not improve the BT connection reliability, currently running 1.2 I believe. I know I do not have a defective iPhone because the unit is brand new, not more than a month old. I drive a Lexus and my wife drives a Mercedes, when I am in either car I do not have any issues with the bluetooth connectivity. 

Here is my current setup, iPhone 8PLUS, running iOS 11.0.3. 

I am willing to live with the one second lag when watching videos on Youtube if the reliability of the connectiong was good.

Sound quality is very good, Battery is plenty for a good work out at the gym but at $250 dollars this is a huge dissapointment. I expected more from Bose. From the response above from Bose, sounds like this issue is not going to be resolved, if that's the case I will be returning these.

i3randon06
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

I am having the same exact problem. I have an Android that works flawlessly with my bluetooth Powerbeats3 (Beats by Dre). Within the first few hours of pairing my new Soundsport Free earbuds, I noticed the left earbud would cut out every 20-30 seconds and reconnect. It continues to be a problem and there doesn't seem to be a solution. I've updated the firmware and cleared/repaired the earbuds many times. Still an issue. Seems to be a hardware problem. I will be returning these for my $250.

randaya
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

Just to update my prior post....I used these at work for about an hour yesterday and no cut-off issues. Went to the gym this AM and again no cut-off issues. Maybe the bluetooth connection just needs "break-in"? I don't know. Nonetheless I'm keeping an eye on it to see how often it happens. I'm still within my return window anyway. 

Ckipp
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Exact same issue! My hope was maybe I just had a faulty pair, but after reading this thread I’m really disappointed. I’ve been using Bose products cocnsistently for 15+ years - always been pleased with quality and performance. When these work (inside and sitting) they are great. But when outside (walking, running, working out) the left bud drops sound every 15-20 seconds. Incredibly frustrating for $250. Not sure how Bose produced such an inferior headphone to Apple (of all brands).

I’d like to think Bose is scrambling to produce some sort of firmware update to fix. If I don’t see anything from them (even an acknowledgement of the issue) in next week or 2 these are going back.

Hugely disappointed
sf_guy
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 29, 2017

I'm having the exact same issue with the earbuds. The left one cuts out. I've tried isolating what causes it, and it seems to be turning my head. As long as I face forward, it's fine, but when I look to either side, there is a drop in the left earbud periodically.

It seems to also occur more often when I'm listening to hi-res audio (96/24) vs. mp3 files, so at first I thought maybe it was an issue with my iPhone not being able to transmit data fast enough, though I ruled this out because the right ear stays permanently connected.

I've also noticed that this seems to occur more when I'm riding my bike up near radio towers. Perhaps the towers cause interference? I live in San Francisco and often bike on trails to the top of Twin Peaks and San Bruno Mountain and experience this issue when I do.

camhissey
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 29, 2017

I'm here to add my disappointment and frustration as well.

My pair arrived last tuesday from Amazon, and while I LOVE the sound quality, the left earbud dropouts are simply unacceptable. They L earbud almost never drops out when I am stationary (in the car, at my desk), but when I am walking anywhere, it begins as intermittent dropouts and usually leads to a complete disconnection of the left earbud.

I've tried disconnecting, reconnecting, restarting, removing all devices from the pair list and starting again fresh, I even connected to the computer and updated the firmware at btu.bose.com. I haven't had any success with any of that (though the drop outs did become more infrequent when the connect app wasnt trying to force a firmware update over bluetooth - that seems sloppy, you should be able to cancel that). 

I also noticed when the left earbud does completely disconnect, there is no way to force it to reboot without putting it back in the case. This is also frustrating if you're out for a jog, as I would rather be able to just have the buds and my phone, or even the buds and my apple watch. 

I'm a longtime supporter of Bose products - I have two 2.1 systems in my house, i never travel without my QC15s, I have a wave radio on my desk in my office, I have the revolve bluetooth speaker (which replaced a color soundlink speaker), and I often recommend your products to friends and family. My next home theatre system was likely to be a lifestyl 650, but this product has been so frustrating and disappointing so I'm less certain now. 

Can you please help us find a solution or at least update us on the status of this issue? is it a hardware issue (last minute changes to antenna placement or bud shape design, etc) or is it likely to be resolved through a firmware update? if so, how soon can we expect a fix? The issue is so prevalent it is hard to beleive this was missed during testing. 

Btw, I am located in GA, in case there is localised RF interference that is causing this.