Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfranceska
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

Re: Bose Soundsport Free Left Headphone Drops

Yeah, here to add my disappointment on this front too. I was using the buds for as little as three minutes today and the left dropped - in fact it just did it again as I was typing this. And it doesn't not automatically reconnect for me - I have to remove and re-pair every single time this happens which is seriously annoying. Especially given the amount of money we pay for these things. I will be demanding a refund if a viable fix is not offered soon. This is a waste of time and money if it remains unresolved.
StradViolin
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Hello Bose, 

I purchased my wireless Soundsport Free ear buds last night and I only  have this issue with my iPhone where the left ear drop outs. I have paired my SoundsSport Free ear buds to my Apple Watch Series II and my iPad Pro and without any any issues, both ear buds were perfect and stayed connected with no drop outs. I ran three miles with my Apple Watch listening to music that  is downloaded local to the Apple Watch and I had no issues with either both ear buds. The music played music beautiful. I have also paired the SoundsSport  buds to my iPad Pro and have been listing to music with no issues for about 3 hours today. There is clear issue with the iPhone Bluetooth connection with the left ear bud. It always drops consistently.   My left ear bud drops within an 20 min connected to my iPhone 7.  We can’t go running with one ear. That’s a show stopper.  It would be nice if we could repair them without the case someway. I will keep you posted if either my Apple Watch or my iPad have have any left ear drop outs. 

I love the incredible sound of the SoundSport Free ear buds! I ran fast like I was in dream surrounded by amazing music. I heard things I never heard before in some of music I listen to all the time. I must give Bose an A for sound quality. Bose I hope the left ear bud drop out issue can be fixed very soon. It would be so very sad to return these amazing sounding ear buds! Get all your engineers together and crack this thing. Best of luck! 

BobbyGee
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2018

I just started using these - they were a gift from my dad, and I am also utterly exasperated with the constant disconnects of the left earbud.

While I agree with others the sound and fit are both good, that is irrelevant if they can’t perform their primary function - (which requires them to remain connected so as to provide an ongoing and uninterrupted listening experience without wires).

I really don’t want to have to return these and purchase AirPods instead but in their current state they are practically worthless. I honestly wouldn’t pay $50 for these. The disconnects cause me serious aggravation. Without a doubt using these things is bad for my mental wellbeing.

Bose, I am willing to wait a bit if there is a real possibility that these issues will be resolved in the near term. If not, please admit that and allow us to move on.

I also expect the patient customers who give you a chance to resolve these problems will not be penalized and be given a reasonable opportunity to return these if you aren’t able to meaningfully remedy these issues.
Frustrated in Hudson, WI
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2018

I've been having the same issue since purchacing in November. I just did the latest firmware upgrade yesterday so...we'll see. I have only experienced problems outside and it seems to be much worse since the weather turned cold (below 40 degrees F). I want to love these due to superior sound and fit...AirPods fall out of my ears. Regardless, I'll return these if they can't be made to opperate correctly... there are aftermarket products that make AirPods fit better...I may need to settle.

tantantheman
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

BobbyGee

I understand the frustration, but have you tried seeing if they need an update? if they are up to date i do notice some very very break in streaming when the phone is in my right pocket, in the left it is much much worse, so if you had it in your left pocket I would suggest moving it to the right and trying that.

tantantheman
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

i understand the frustation, please try putting the phone in the right pocket or on the right side of your body as this decreases the distance between the masterlink and the phone, it also decreases interferances with the masterlink, also cold weather is also known to "mess" with bluetooth and non bluetooth devices and also will drain the batteries faster. my recomendation start connection inside of your house or car then step out once a strong connection is made between the masterlink and the bluetooth device, this allows the two devices to communicate and establish a faster more reliable connection, then step out into the outdoors, also make sure your phone is on the most current update as older versions of IOS and andriod do not play well, especially on andriod as Bose favors Apple products, if this does not work, report back with other issues and ill see if I can find a solution.

Exidous
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 17, 2017

Bose themselves said the right is master left is slave. The left dropping out has little to do with the source. The issue is the link between left and right.

I had the left drop out with the phone next to my head.
njklutz
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 22, 2016

I am a loyal Bose household.  Bose surround sound in the Den.  Bose Q20 for myself, 2 sons and wife for years.  Bose Q30 love the noise reduction hate the neck band.  

Love the sound, fit, etc of these.....HATE the left ear dropping outside, especially in the cold weather.  I walk 1.8 miles on the streets of NYC from my train to my office.  NJ Transit, works great.  Even NYC Subways works great.  NYC streets, SUCK!!

I am getting very tired of the Bose tech support suggestions did you update firmware?  YES.  Left pocket vs right pocket, this is BS doesn't make a difference.  Remove interference - my head?  BS.  Start them indoors and then go outdoors. BS doesn't make a difference.  It seems like Bose has no idea what is wrong and thinks we are idiots.  I have a couple weeks left before I have to return them, just hoping Bose figures out and fixes this problem.

Very disappointing.

elguapo
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

@BobbyGee wrote:
I just started using these - they were a gift from my dad, and I am also utterly exasperated with the constant disconnects of the left earbud.

While I agree with others the sound and fit are both good, that is irrelevant if they can’t perform their primary function - (which requires them to remain connected so as to provide an ongoing and uninterrupted listening experience without wires).

I really don’t want to have to return these and purchase AirPods instead but in their current state they are practically worthless. I honestly wouldn’t pay $50 for these. The disconnects cause me serious aggravation. Without a doubt using these things is bad for my mental wellbeing.

Bose, I am willing to wait a bit if there is a real possibility that these issues will be resolved in the near term. If not, please admit that and allow us to move on.

I also expect the patient customers who give you a chance to resolve these problems will not be penalized and be given a reasonable opportunity to return these if you aren’t able to meaningfully remedy these issues.

The part that I am trying to understand is ALL the positive reviews on Bose's website. They have a rating of 4 1/2 stars out of five, in the last 7 days the reviews are solid 5 stars. How can this be?. 

Obviously if people are rating these with 5 stars reviews they are, either, not having any problems. I must be doing something wrong.

bswain1
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

Agreed...hanginf in for a fix. Hope very soon

@poiboy wrote:

Caveat: I'm an electrical engineer, but have no affiliation with Bose. What I give below is speculative on my part, but it's what I think is probably going on after reading a number of these reviews and combining it with some of my experiences.

I think what the Bose engineers may be struggling with here stems from their decision to use Bluetooth to communicate from the right earbud to the left earbud in a master/slave configuration. At the frequencies that Bluetooth operates at, electromagnetic waves do not propagate well through the human head. Because the signal received by the left earbud is significantly attenuated, it’s susceptible to interference from outside transmissions operating around the same frequencies. The interfering signals can come from other bluetooth devices nearby, or other devices operating around 2.4GHz, which is a very common unlicensed frequency for consumer use, including WiFi. If the design decisions had used lower-frequency transmission or near-field magnetic induction (commonly used in hearing aids), there would likely be far less vulnerability to interference, and therefore a more solid and reliable connection.

Why did they decide on a master/slave setup and bluetooth to communicate between the earbuds? I’m guessing here, but I would think it probably looked best when considering cost, power consumption (battery life), and design simplicity (because both earbuds could have the same bluetooth transceiver and therefore the circuits and antennas would be nearly identical). It’s also difficult to test a prototype across the entire range of interference that occurs in the real world. I’m sure they carried out testing in a lab with well-known interference setups, and had a fair number of testers use them outdoors and in a gym, but that data can be limited, and it’s only when there are many thousands being used extensively before some issues become apparent.

So can they fix it in firmware? If they made a mistake in the original firmware, or specified some parameter over-conservatively when designing the buds, then there might be a simple fix waiting. If it’s the bluetooth chips they’re using that have a problem, and it’s a fraction of them exhibiting poor performance, there might be a firmware or hardware revision that would bring performance into spec. They also might be able to do something like increase transmission power from the right earbud if the bluetooth transceiver has that capability and it’s not already at it’s maximum, albeit at the cost of reduced battery life, or even device lifespan. I can tell you that it’s very likely that there are some engineers and managers who are sweating this out and trying to fully understand the scope of the problem, and come up with a fix that doesn’t break something else and isn't excessively expensive. I personally am hanging on to my earbuds, because I've only had a few dropouts so far, and in my experience Bose stands behind their products and will make it right in the end.

Hanging w/ Bose for a fix, they are usually good w/ their word!!!