spiketrain
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 21, 2019

Bose Soundsport interference when connected to two devices

I have both Bose Soundsport in-ear headphones and also QC35 headphones - both bluetooth and both able to connect to two devices at once.

I have 3, sometimes more devices I use with these and I have to often re-pair when I'm swapping over. Typically I use an iPhone x, an iPad and a Macbook Pro - if it's useful to know.

If I'm making business phone calls I often connect either of these headphones to my iPhone and sit at my computer to take notes during the converstions.

I often notice a corrupted 'bubble' or a quiver in the quality of the audio which makes me sometimes not hear the caller very well as if they're breaking up. They don't seem to have a difficulty in hearing me at all. This has gone on for many months and I can probably demonstrate this phenomena in a test environment since it behaves quite predicatbly on pretty much all calls I make.

I have recently noticed that if my laptop is connected via bluetooth as well, I can disconnect it from the headphones during the call and the quality with the iphone improves with the corruptions stopping. My laptop isn't muted during these calls, but neither is it making any sounds. Wondering if this is a good practice to follow or whether, since the Bose devices are designed nowadays to connect to two devices at once, whether I should look further into the cause of this issue. I'm pretty sure I've experienced this with the iPad and iPhone together too.... I don't seem to experience issues like this with listening to music through any device.

It's frustrating to me at times since Bluetooth still isn't an exact science and I quite often have issues as I tether and untether devices and it's tricky if I have to mess about with these setting during a call when I'm trying to make notes and chat at the same time.

Thanks guys

Sx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose Soundsport interference when connected to two devices

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Hi Spiketrain, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this issue, however I would love to assist further. 

I have a few questions that I would like to ask to get a better understanding of your issue: 

• Have you attempted to connect two mobile devices to the headphones to see if the issue persists? 
  • Have you attempted to remove all devices from the headphones and added the devices back one by one to identify where the issue arises?

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Hector B - Community Support

6 REPLIES 6

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

Hi Spiketrain, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this issue, however I would love to assist further. 

I have a few questions that I would like to ask to get a better understanding of your issue: 

• Have you attempted to connect two mobile devices to the headphones to see if the issue persists? 
  • Have you attempted to remove all devices from the headphones and added the devices back one by one to identify where the issue arises?

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Hector B - Community Support

spiketrain
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 21, 2019

Thanks HectorB!

Lovely to hear from you - and so quickly!

Your first question I don't fully understand. The issue starts with both Laptop and iPhone connected. These are both mobile devices. Your question "Have you attempted to connect two mobile devices to the headphones to see if the issue persists? " is tricky to answer on that basis unless I'm missing something.... I also mention that I have replicated the issue when connected to iPad and iPhone. Again, two mobile devices... and the issue does indeed persist.

The answer to your second question is 'yes'. In that I frequently un-pair and repair all devices at one time or another since I've used my headphones with multiple appliances. When the headphones get a bit confused with all the pairing and unpairing, I sometimes have to reset them completely which I've done on a couple of occassions. 

I should say that I've not done ALL these things in a sequential step by step test environment in order to better identify these behaviours, rather, I've done them as part of using them during the course of a working day. IE I've often re-paired my headphones when I was about to listen to music on my iPhone and the bluetooth 'memory' was full with (for example) my laptop and someone else's laptop from some other day kind of thing.. then a few days later, I use them to make a call in the manner I previously described, only to find, once again, a voice corruption, seemingly due to being connected to two devices. Again, I should mention that this is repeatable with both QC35s and the Soundsports.

I could add that, it's also happened when I've had a Skype call on my laptop and the iPhone was connected but inert too. By disconnecting the iPhone, I have managed to improve the laptop audio on Skype - so it manifests both with iPhone and Macbook whichever way round I'm using the devices. 

Rgds

Hi Spiketrain, 

Thanks for reaching back out and updating me on this. 

In regards to my first question I meant have you attempted to mobile phones? Sorry for not being very clear on this. 

It sounds to me that the headphones may be getting confused with the constant pairing and unpairing. Have you attempted to clear the headphones Bluetooth lists? 

Thanks for updating me on this. 

Hector B 

spiketrain
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 21, 2019

Hi HectorB!

Ahh! - So no, I've not tried a different phone - but I have tried Skype on my laptop... so that's a different audio source.... perhaps helpful?

Yes, have cleared the Bluetooth list since I've factory reset the devices at different times because I have certainly experienced the confusion on the units as you mention. Bluetooth as a protocol still doesn't behave with 100% reliability in this way I've discovered.  

Hi Spiketrain, 

Thanks for posting and updating me. 

This information is helpful, however if you do have a second phone please do test this and update me with this information. 

When connected to the devices one at a time do you experience this issue or is it strictly with two or more? 

Thanks, 

Hector B 

spiketrain
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 21, 2019

Thanks HectorB

I’ll have a crack at doing some ‘controlled’ testing as you request. It’ll be in a couple of days now. 

All the best

S