Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 7, 2019

Bose Soundsport wireless latency issue

I got this new SS wireless yesterday. I notice when watching videos on youtube in Windows 10 sometimes the audio lags the video. It doesn't always happen. Switching off and back on usually resolves it. Is is a issue that is common or is unique to my product??

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Bose Soundsport wireless latency issue

Hello Aditya, 

The SoundSport wireless uses the advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP) to deliver audio from your source device to the headphones. While you can hear audio from the videos on YouTube, A2DP is not a consistent stream where fluctuations in playback can occur which can ultimately cause latency issues, which is why we do not recommend using them for video watching.

Kind regards

Jeff G 

Bose Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Jeff_G  You bring up a good question about A2DP (which is the profile also known in the computer world as audio renderer).  Here are some follow up questions:

1. Assume the device here is the soundsport wireless and not the soundsport free - same issue?

2. What about other Bose BT devices - will they have the same issues with youtube.  For example, I also have two Revolve's, a QC35ii, and a Soundlink Mini II

3. Is the lag / latency issue just with Youtube or other Internet streaming sites?

4. Will there be latency issues with apps that run video resident on the device?  For example, I play videos resident on my iPhone 7+ with VLC (and have not so far had a lag).

Highlighted

Thanks for the questions, Joel. 

The SoundSport wireless will have less of a detrimental effect on latency as the signal path ends at the headphones, and is distributed by the wire between the buds. The Soundsport free wireless headphones have a longer path as once the audio reaches the first bud, it also needs to be relayed over to the next bud wirelessly. This causes the delay you experience during playback. 

The source of the video, be it streamed or stored locally is usually not a contributing factor in how much latency is passed to the headphones. The audio will be delivered to the phone/tablet/computer from its respective source at 0ms latency, the lag then occurs due to the transmission fluctuation in the distribution profile. This fluctuation is usually not noticeable in general day to day use when listening to music, but with video, you are creating a disconnect between the image and audio via the wireless delivery method and any interference or large fluctuations will lead to the lag some users experience.

In my personal experience of testing many different Bose headphones and Bluetooth speakers, I have found that there can be a great variation in latency during general use. I have occasionally watched full episodes and movies on Netflix using my Soundwear Companions for example, and have had no issues with latency, other times, however, it can be somewhat of a nuisance and I have to revert to using my phone's built-in speakers. 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

Jeff G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Bose Sound Sport Free Audio Lag Issue

Let me start by making this clear that my application (Boss connect ) and phone software are up to date.

When I am  listening to music in any app the audio lags.

When i click on pause button on the earbuds it pauses after two seconds.

While playing games as well the audio lags.

Just wanted to know if you guys are working on any fix since the latest version also did not solve the issue.

Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

Brand new Soundsport Free, fully updated firmware, persistent audio lag

Hello. We purchased a pair of soundsport free's yesterday, for use for video teleconferencing  for my company. Been testing with iPhone running latest version of iOS 13, as well as a Windows 10 laptop with updated bluetooth drivers and your updater software. 

Have followed troubleshooting involving forgetting the Soundsport headphones, shutting off both devices, and then re-connecting them. Have fully updated the firmware and narrator softwares using both the Bose Connect App as well as connecting to Windows 10 device and using the software updater at btu.bose.com.

No success, headphones have replicated the audio latency on both mobile and desktop devices. Roughly ~0.5 to 1 full second delay, I can not use this product in its current state.

Please advise me, as other posts on the Bose community forum and other sources tell me that this issue can be due to defunct hardware in your product and I may have to return them.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

I bought this a few months ago, and the audio lag when I watch movies on my laptop, phone or tablet is really bad. Almost close to a second delay. Make watching movies and TV shows highly unpleasant. It makes me use the earbuds less often and use my 5$ wired earphones more! It's 2020 and how come there isn't a fix for this yet? First bose product I own and am severely disappointed.