Bug with QC35 picking up phone call on macbook

Silent Starter

Bug with QC35 picking up phone call on macbook

Ok, this has annoyed enough times that I am reporting this. I am using QC35 on firmware 1.3.2, but this issue was happening on the previous version too.

Here are steps to recreate this issue:

1) Connect to iPhone and Macbook.

2) Listen/watch youtube or something on MacBook.

3) phone call comes in, you hear it in the headphone and you should see it pop up on the MacBook. (you might need to do the setup for this)

4) Pick up the call by clicking answer on your MacBook.

as soon as you pick the phone call up on you mac all hell will break loose. Horrible loud noise in the headphones, you do hear the person but there is unbearable loud static like noise. Also, Itunes will pop open on your mac and music will start playing...

every time I literally pull of the headphone and throw them aside, its that bad of a noise.

Someone, please recreate this and get a dev to fix it. Show me that awesome service Bose is known for.

7 REPLIES

Re: Bug with QC35 picking up phone call on macbook

Hi susvart,

Thanks for reaching out. What program are you using on the MacBook (Handoff, etc)? For testing purposes, can you try out two combinations for us?

1. Call experience with the iPhone and QC35 paired together.

2. Overall experience with the MacBook paired with just the QC35.

Then, when you have your headset connected to both the iPhone and MacBook, can you identify to us the Bluetooth profiles that are assigned? 

Based on your description, this could be related to the profile selection between the devices when all three are connected simultaneously. 

Give us an update of your findings when you can. We're here to help.

Thank you,

Mohsin

Silent Starter

Hi Mohsin, yes I am not using any program, the feature is part of the OS.

1) I used the headphone all the time when they are only paired with my phone. I have no issue their perfect call quality.

2) I have not answered a called when headphones are only paired with MacBook, but otherwise quality is great. I have no issues with Skype calls on MacBook, or just watching a movie.

What are Bluetooth profiles? And where do I have to go to check it?

thank you for getting back to me.

Thanks,

@susvart Thanks for testing that. Bluetooth profiles specify behaviors that enable devices to communicate with other Bluetooth devices. Two supported profiles on the QC35 are Hands Free profile(for phone calls) and A2DP(media, music, movies, etc). 

In regards to the feature you are using on the Macbook, can you test it with the iPhone disconnected from the headset? Connections can be managed in the Connect app. Having just the Macbook paired with the headset, does the same issue occur when answering calls? 

Also, would it be possible to test out a different Bluetooth headset with the Mac? 

Thanks again for following up and performing the troubleshooting steps throughout. 

Let us know, 

Mohsin 

Audible Advocate

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem.

Same firmware version but the issue was happening with the previous versions.

Issue happens when making phone calls on either my iPhone 6Plus (version 5.62.00), Windows 10 Surface Pro or my Mac Air.

The symptom seems to be signalling strength but can confirm every time phone calls are made or received the Bluetooth signal strengths are strong; devices are within a hand reach away.

Hearing the caller through the headphone sounds really patchy, very robotic distorted sound. Quality of call diminishes the longer you're on the call; problem starts within 2-4 seconds within the call. Problem seems to take longer to occur when you first turn on the head phone and the first task it performs is a phone call, the problem will occur after 15-20 seconds but there after every phone call afterwards the problem occurs after 2-4 seconds.

Music quality is fine, I can listen to iTunes, web radio on all devices without issues, it seems to only affect phone calls. Perhaps it has something to do with bidirectional traffic. Listening to music, the head phone is only receiving (A2DO), while phone calls are both receiving and transmitting.

Applications I have open on those devices are irrelevant, as I've had no applications open except making a phone call and the problem occurs.

The problem is not related to how many devices are paired to the headset while making phone call, as I had only the one device paired and the problem occurs.

Problem persist whether I'm on 4G or Wifi, signal strengths and speed on 4G and WiFi are also strong when the problem occurs.

I've connect a Sony and Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones to all 3 of my devices and it does not experieince the problem described above.

The problem is so bad I now do not make phone calls on the headphone. Please resolve this problem.

Clearly I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

Phanh

@phanhp Hey Phanh, thank you for writing in! Sorry to hear about the experience you are having with the QC35. That was a great idea on testing the headset across different devices. We appreciate the effort in providing as much as information you can. Our recommendation would be to reach out to your local Bose Support to discuss your exchange options. Here is a link to get contact info if you need it. 

Thanks again, and let us know how everything goes.

Mohsin

Audible Advocate

@Mohsin_S Thank you for responding,

I have reached out to a Bose centre and have organised for an exchange. I will repost of my findings.

Phanh

Hey Phanh! No problem. Great to hear. Update us when you get a chance. Thank you!

Mohsin