nikkorman
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

Can Bose update bluetooth technology and other things using firmware?

With all the talk of the QC 45 release. I am wondering if Bose can update bluetooth technology and other features using firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
grmedhat
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

Re: Can Bose update bluetooth technology and other things using firmware?

Author Accepted Answer selected by nikkorman

Probably to some extent but limited by the chipsets put into the device when it was manufactured.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
grmedhat
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by nikkorman

Probably to some extent but limited by the chipsets put into the device when it was manufactured.

nikkorman
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

Wish things were made modular. Replace a part containing the chipset for a nominal fee. Imagine how good that would be the environment and consumers!

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I don't work for Bose but my take is - they will change / update the firmware in order to fix what they deem to be significant issues.  But firmware upgrades and fixes do not generate income - just we hope 'good will' 🙂   So unlike Apple, Microsoft and other larger vendors where there is a general understanding and 'expectation' of ongoing upgrades (and that of course, could be a controversial topic here), I would not expect Bose to introduce major functional improvements via firmware.  Though occasionally (like in the recent case of AR for the QC35ii with serial numbers ending in "AZ") they do functional upgrades.  However, I am guessing perhaps the firmware was the AR functionality was not yet ready when the AZ version of the QC35ii released and so it was probably already a planned functionality.  Adding it to the "AE" version was probably just for a consistent single firmware release though since we know the "AE" versions will not support AR.

Now I don't know much about the internal hardware of the QC35ii and whether there is hardware to support a functional update from Bluetooth (BT) 4.x to 5.x, for example.  While I would be pleasantly suprised for significant functional improvements such as BT 4 to 5, I am skeptical if that will happen as those improvements are what drives paying customers to the newer 2019 versions of these products.

grmedhat
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

Looking at this article about choosing BT chipsets it appears there are several pros and con decisions engineers have to make when designing a product.