Jan 6, 2017

Re: Can't Hear myself during QC35 Phonecall

@Tony_G thanks - I've requested a replacement from Amazon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

Please let us know how your replacment set works.  In my experience, local support can't do much more than tell you to tr another headset.  I think it is a software problem.  If your new one works though, I will reevalute and maybe try one more replacement before giving up.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

yep - I will update when I get the new one. When I ran my finger against the third microphone on the right speaker (the one that's supposed to do the side-tone) I did hear that sound - but it couldn't pick up my voice, so as you say it could be a firmware issue as well.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2017

I just thought this was how they worked (i.e. muffled own voice). That was until I read this thread.

So I called Bose UK.  Bose technical said this is how they are meant to work (i.e. muffled).  

Bit disappointed to say the least.

I have to move the headphones so they do not sit true on my head in order to let the sound of my own voice enter my ears. This is much better for my call "enjoyment" audi-wise.  But obvs not so good comfort wise and you look a bit odd too!.

Bit naff design IMHO.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@naseer wrote:

,,,the third microphone on the right speaker (the one that's supposed to do the side-tone)...

Can you document that belief?  Where did you locate that information?  From Bose or from some third party that claims to know how the QC35 functions?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

I am still following this topic and still don't have any relief... I would love to hear from someone who is actually using the QC35s, over BT, with Android phone and where their voice is rebroadcast in the earcups when speaking...it concerns me that Bose UK says the muffled voice means the headset is working correctly as this is not what I've been told.  I have no inclination to return as I don't believe there will be any difference...sidetone is the only feature not working, all other features are working fine (and I love the comfort).  

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2017

I'd add not only Andriod but iPhone success as well.  If anyone has made this worked I'd love to know what combination of products they are using.

I spoke with US support yesterday and was told it would work if I updated my iOS .... I did...and it still doesn't work. 

I ask specifically what phones the side-tone works with...and didn't get an answer to that question.

IMHO this is a great feature that is not fully baked.

Love the headphones...except for this. I have other Bose headphones and although these are great I wouldn't have dropped $350 for a new pair. This was the feature that I bought so I am not a happy customer at this point. Seriously considering returning the product.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

@Socrates wrote:

@naseer wrote:

,,,the third microphone on the right speaker (the one that's supposed to do the side-tone)...

Can you document that belief?  Where did you locate that information?  From Bose or from some third party that claims to know how the QC35 functions?

I worded that incorrectly - the mic that I *think* is doing the side tone (if you touch that mic during a call even when you're muted, you do hear a sound). I do not have any documentation to back it up.

This mic doesn't seem to be strong enough to relay my own voice to me.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

Naseer is correct.  My headphoens do the same thing.  While there is no "documentation" of this, if you rub your finger along that microphone while on a bluteooth call, you can hear a scratching sound from your finger rebroadcast over the nosie cancellation.  This suggests the possiblity that instead of there being no sidetone at all,  there is some small amount of sidetone that you can detect when touching the mic but that it is so weak that it doesn't capture your voice enough to avoid hearing yourself as if you are under water. But whether there is inadequate sidetone or no sidetone is really an academic debate, useful only for diagnosing the problem. Either one is not acceptable.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

I do not understand your usage of the term "Sidetone" but that's not a big deal.

According to information that I received from Bose Support, that microphone along with another one on the left earpiece are used to transmit your voice to the "other end" of the conversation.  This was not documented (for me to see) but, rather, was one technician's understanding of the product.  IF he is correct, I believe that the noise that you hear (yes, I confirmed it) is simply the result of a 2-wire connection (same wire pair for sound in both directions), which is the essence of telephone transmission.  Telephone devices attempt to block the return signal/sound but the blockage is rather imperfect and some sound does get through.  My belief is that the QC is also using an imperfect blockage so you hear muffled sound.

Ironically, I have no problem hearing my own voice when I use the QC on the phone but now we're getting into ddifferences in our headbone structure (I'm really not trying to make a joke).