Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

Re: Can't Hear myself during QC35 Phonecall

Sidetone is the effect of sound picked up by the microphone transmitter and instantly introduced at a low electronic signal level into the receiver (earphones). More simply, it is the sound of a speaker’s voice as received at his or her own ears through the headset.  This is a very old technology but a very important feature for phonecalls using headphones that have active noise cancellation (ANC).  The point of ANC is that it filters out all sounds that aren't part of the signal being broadcast into the headphones--So you hear your music but not the noise.  Of course your own voice is an outside noise that (without sidetone) would not be part of the signal being broadcast into your headphones.  Thus it would be muffled by the ANC just like other outside noises.  This is not a problem when you are just listening to music.  But if you are trying to have a telephone conversation, you don't want your own voice to be muffled.  That would lead you to speak too loudly (like a partially deaf person) and be a little disorienting because your own voice sounds wrong in your ears.  Sidetone is the feature that fixes that by picking up your voice from the microphone and putting it back into your own ears through the speakers, bypassing ANC.   That way you hear yourself. It is the feature that enables ANC headphones to be viable for telephone calls. And it is  a feature that Bose avertises the QC35 as having.  The fact that the feature is not working for everyone is the reason we have this thread.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@Chris_S wrote:

And it is  a feature that Bose avertises the QC35 as having.

I am not familiar with that advertising claim.  Can you provide a link?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

@Socrates wrote:

@Chris_S wrote:

And it is  a feature that Bose avertises the QC35 as having.

I am not familiar with that advertising claim.  Can you provide a link?

Sure Socrates:  it comes right from Bose's QC35 hompeage under FAQs:

"Can QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones take calls?

Yes. QuietComfort 35 headphones have a dual-microphone system to allow you to use them during calls when connected to a smartphone that supports the Bluetooth HFP profile. In addition to traditional calls, the headphones will work with many apps that use Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), such as Skype or FaceTime. The dual-mic system helps reject wind and background noise to ensure an exceptional far-end experience, while sidetone lets you hear your own voice so you sound natural when speaking on a call."   

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless.html#Pro...  

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

Bingo!  They gotta do it.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2017

What a great thread!

So BOSE UK says it doesn't have it when you call them, yet their on web site says it does (plus it seems other sources say it does).  No wonder I am confused. I feel a strong letter coming on to get this put right, one way or another.

Either my headset is faulty or they are being falsey advertised.

Busy today, but will defo contact them next week.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@mcdoodle wrote:

So BOSE UK says it doesn't have it when you call them...

That COULD be a matter of semantics.  With Bose (and other service organizations), I've occasionally found it necessary to reword my comments to assure understanding.

@mcdoodle wrote:

Either my headset is faulty or they are being falsey advertised.

My belief at this time is that it's a matter of degree.  Each one of us has tested the microphones by tapping and rubbing on them and, sure enough, the sound comes through to the earpieces.  That, to me, means that my voice will also come through those microphones to go to the earpieces.  However, for some individuals, the amount of is insufficient.  On the other hand, there is a tradeoff in that these microphones will also pick up unwanted noise and send that to the earpieces.  Admittedly, I'm not a good one to make the judgment because I do not expect to use the phone with the headphones on to any significant degree.  Since I have no friends, nobody calls me!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

I've received my replacement headset and it's only slightly better - I still feel as if I'm underwater when making the call.

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@naseer wrote:

I've received my replacement headset and it's only slightly better - I still feel as if I'm underwater when making the call.

It appears that the QC35 is not the product for you.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

I find it interesting that no one from Bose has commented on this issue with any clear indicators of a solution...

I think it must be a binary response only:

1. the QC35 headphones are suppose to have sidetone (both Android and iOS) and if a set doesn't then 'phones are faulty and should be returned 

or

2. definitely state that sidetone is not a feature yet but will be incorporated into future firmware update.  

The Bose advertising/reviews are such that sidetone is a touted function so I don't see any wiggle room for an option 3 which would be "sidetone is not available and will not be available for QC35 series".  

I still have zero idea if my headphones are defective or they are operating (muffled, without sidetone) properly for existing firmware...just as they would if they were being tested in the Bose laboratory... 

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@Oz wrote:

I find it interesting that no one from Bose has commented on this issue with any clear indicators of a solution...

I think it must be a binary response only:

1. the QC35 headphones are suppose to have sidetone (both Android and iOS) and if a set doesn't then 'phones are faulty and should be returned 

or

2. definitely state that sidetone is not a feature yet but will be incorporated into future firmware update.  

The Bose advertising/reviews are such that sidetone is a touted function so I don't see any wiggle room for an option 3 which would be "sidetone is not available and will not be available for QC35 series".  

I still have zero idea if my headphones are defective or they are operating (muffled, without sidetone) properly for existing firmware...just as they would if they were being tested in the Bose laboratory... 

Obviously, the QC35 DOES have that feature.  Each one of us has tested the sideband microphones by tapping and rubbing on them and, sure enough, the sound comes through to the earpieces.  That, to me, means that my voice will also come through those microphones to go to the earpieces.  However, for some individuals, the amount of is insufficient.  Unfortunately, there is a tradeoff in that these microphones will also pick up unwanted noise and send that to the earpieces.  For me, the amount of my voice that goes to the earpieces is sufficient but, admittedly, I'm not a good one to make the judgment because I do not expect to use the phone with the headphones on to any significant degree.  Since I have no friends, nobody calls me!