Can't use QC35 Quiet Comfort 35 with iMac - stuttering / dropouts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Re: Can't use QC35 Quiet Comfort 35 with iMac - stuttering / dropouts. Reinstall Bose software link?

Author Accepted Answer selected by GW

OK after a little investigating I managed to reset the bluetooth module on the iMac - (Shift Option bluetooth menu > Debug) - and this seems to have stopped the interference! For now…

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Re: Can't use QC35 Quiet Comfort 35 with iMac - stuttering / dropouts. Reinstall Bose software link?

Anybody any idea how to fix this? About six weeks after buying QC35 - using them nearly every day - suddenly no way to use them with iMac. Stuttering starts almost immediately when using iTunes, loads of clicks, interruptions and dropouts several times a second. Somehow seems connected with the computer use - sometimes, after fresh connections / parings / computer restart, problem seems to start when I open apps like Chrome, Safari, Mail but there doesn't seem to be 100% correlation. Previously I had a lot of pairing problems but always managed to resolve them by clearing pairings list and re-pairing. This seems like a different problem.

Only thing I can think of is that I reinstalled the Sierra system just before the stuttering started. Could that have affected the Bose iMac software maybe? Is there a way to reinstall the Bose this software? Thanks.

GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

OK I downgrade to 1.06 - this seems to have fixed the problem. For now.

GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

And it's stopped working again - that fix lasted all of an hour. I give up. This is like having a BMW with a flat battery. Pathetic.

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

GW

Sorry to hear this. Does this issue only happen on your iMac? Would it be possible for you try the headset on a mobile device for troubleshooting purposes? Also have you tried rebooting the headset?

QC35 Reboot

1.Turn the headset off and wait for at least 30 seconds.

2.Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait at least 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).

3.Unplug USB cord from the headset and wait at least 1 minute.

4.Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly

If you have these issues over multiple platforms, we recommend you contact your local Bose support. HERE is a link. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact" and it will give you contact information.

Hope this helps

Tony

GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Hi Tony thanks for the reply.

1. I just tried the headset reboot as you described and as soon as I started using the iMac, the problem restarted, but I think I might be closer to finding the cause - more below.

2. The headphones do not stutter at all - have never done so - with my iPhone or MacBookAir, whcich are the two other devices I use with teh headphones.

2a. I have had multiple problems pairing with each one of the 3 devices at different times, but have always finally managed to resolve this by a combination of deleting all pairings from all devices and re-pairing and re-connecting and switching off and restarting the devices. This I do on an almost daily basis. I have also tried installing various firmware upgrade combinations. And have even gone as far as deleting the app and redownloading.

3. The stuttering though is a completely new problem and only started for the first time a couple of days ago and only on iMac. 

3a. The QC35 worked perfectly with the iMac until this problem. I did reinstall the MacOS (Sierra) just before this started happening. It may be related.

4. *New discovery* I just tried something new. I tried turning off my mouse and keyboard - which are the only other bluetooth devices in the vicinity, as I noticed that using the mouse somehow triggered the problem - I thought webpages were the problem. Result: when I turned off both mouse and keyboard the constant stuttering stopped after a second or two and did not return. As soon as I turned on either the mouse or keyboard - especially the keyboard - the stuttering restarted really badly.

4a. i tried walking away to teh either side of room - made no difference.

5. Conclusion - some kind of interference? But why has it just started?

GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

PS 6. I should also note that the keyboard and mouse ONLY make a difference if the headphones are paired with the iMac. They make no difference if I'm paired with the iPhone and the phone is sitting on the table next to the keyboard and mouse.

GW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by GW

OK after a little investigating I managed to reset the bluetooth module on the iMac - (Shift Option bluetooth menu > Debug) - and this seems to have stopped the interference! For now…

View solution in original post

Thomas Norden
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2017

I too have prblemswith my iMac. Connects perfectly to my iPhone and Mac Book Pro, but not to the iMac. Annoying, to say the least. I've tried resetting bluetooth, deleting pairing lists, disabling mouse etc. but my BC35 simply don't show up on  the list of available bluetooth devices.

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

@Thomas Norden

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about that. Could I ask, are you able to pair any Bluetooth devices to your iMac? It would help to know if the problem with the iMac was consistent with multiple devices.

Please come back and update us

Tony