Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

Data collection?

I've read online that Bose wireless headphones capture data about what I listen to and send it to Bose or some other company for data mining.  I don't have any idea if this is true.  If it is true, is there any way to opt out?

I own a pair of Quietcomfort 35s and a pair of Soundsport earbuds.  I love both of them, they're among the best devices I've bought in years.  The Soundsports are pretty much a perfect set of earbuds, they sound great, the physical build is incredible, it's easy to put them in my pocket, you can sweat on them.  I could never sleep on a plane until I got my QC 35s -- I turn them on without anything playing, and nod right off.  The QC 35s transform riding the subway into something much more pleasant than it is without them.  You can listen to chamber music and actually hear it.

Please don't make me choose betwen these products that I love and my privacy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 22, 2017

Re: Data collection?

Author Accepted Answer selected by astrashe

@astrashe,

You can opt-out by deleting the Bose Connect app on your device. You will lose out on things like "Bose share" auto-off timer, and control over the voice prompts, but it appears that the app also collects data as to what you are listening to. It seems like Bose has decided to use customers as "lab rats" in order to see what kind of things they listen to when using Bose products. I'm not sure that the whole "selling customer habits" to data miners is true, but it could be. It'll be interesting to see how this whole thing develops.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 22, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by astrashe

@astrashe,

You can opt-out by deleting the Bose Connect app on your device. You will lose out on things like "Bose share" auto-off timer, and control over the voice prompts, but it appears that the app also collects data as to what you are listening to. It seems like Bose has decided to use customers as "lab rats" in order to see what kind of things they listen to when using Bose products. I'm not sure that the whole "selling customer habits" to data miners is true, but it could be. It'll be interesting to see how this whole thing develops.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

Thanks, I've adopted your solution.

It's important for me to point out that I don't know what they're doing with the data, so the "selling customer habits" thing isn't anything I know to be true.  I don't want to give Bose undeserved criticism.

I hope they add a setting to the app that will allow us to opt out of data uplods but continue to use it.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hey @astrashe @Wafflehat, We appreciate your interest. Those are inflammatory, misleading accusations. You can read our statement linked here

Thank you

Mohsin

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 3, 2017

Data Collection (moved from Update April 18th - QC35 Issue Reports and Current Status)

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Data Collection

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@Wafflehat wrote:

@astrashe,

O c'mon.  It's no secret that I've been a bit unhappy with my QC35 (until I implemented a simple solution) but I'm not paranoid about "big brother."  I WANT Bose to collect usage data - it's the best way for them to learn how to make their products more suitable for their customers.  I will acknowledge that some persons may well prefer that manufacturers design their products without knowing anything about their customers.  Studebaker comes to mind.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2017

I don't mind BOSE collecting data to improve their products.  Good luck to them.  But if they are collecting the data to sell then this is completely unacceptable.

@ST can you confirm that the data collected is not being passed onto third parties like segment.io or anyone else?

@STIf you are selling data to a third party - can you confirm if it includes personal profile information.

To be honest I never use the BOSE connect app because it needs my location service on and why do I need yet another internal device draining the battery.  Both the app and the location service are putting extra drain on the battery.  You buy the product set ANC to max, fiddle with the buttons when the stewardess asks you a question on the plane, control the volume with your phone or seat or whereever you are and never need to use the BOSE connect APP ever again.Man Happy

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi timdadd,

Please see A message to our Bose Connect app customers in the Announcements section of the community.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@timdadd wrote:

@ST can you confirm that the data collected is not being passed onto third parties like segment.io or anyone else?

Bose has confirmed it.  What else do you want?