georgemilev
Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2017

Difference in sound when playing on bluetooth and wired

Hello All,

I have a qc 35 with 1.3.2 and yesterday I've noticed something strange and firstly i was thinking i am Misleding myself, however  i was able to test this with a colleague, who is a audiophlie also.

When i am using my qc 35 with bluetooth on my iphone se the music is more louder compared to when using them with a cable(on other devices too). We did the very simple test just play one song via bluetooth and afterwards just plug the cable and there is noticible difference in the volume and bass. Not quite sure if there is any difference in the quality.

Has someone else noticed something similar? Is this expected behavior?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

George

7 REPLIES 7
powerslave
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

Re: Difference in sound when playing on bluetooth and wired

I think when you use Bluetooth,it also powers the various drivers the headphones have in making the music sound better.
When connected via a wire it can't power the EQ or something like that.
Bose say when using it wired the sound isn't as good.

Ian
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

georgemilev

Thanks for the post. That is interesting. What you are describing is possible because Bluetooth has it's own Digital Signal Processing  built into it on the mobile device.

Any other users notice the same thing?

Please come back and update us

Tony

georgemilev
Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2017

Hey Tony,

Thank you for the insight. Now it makes more sence. COuld you please share with me is this expected bevahior? Do not get me wrong please! I love my bose! I believe that this is the best headset i can get and i do not want to hear for other brand!

However, it's really odd... i mean i am not able to be contastantly on the bluetooth due to various of reasons, but i would like to have the same sound on the wire. I believe this sounds reasonable, right?

Kind regards,

George

georgemilev
Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2017

Hello all,
Can someone share with me is this expected? I would really like to know why there is such a difference... I am using my bose in the office mainly via cable and now(when not in the office)I am using them via Bluetooth ... my feelings at the moment are that I just bought myself a new pair of headsets .

Thanks
Kind regards,
George
juanmasg
Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2017

Hi,

Please see this related thread: https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Sound-quality-QC35/td-p/34782

To me the QC35 are 2in1 headphones. I mean, they're a completely different product with and without the wire.
The whole process until the sound arrives to the ears is so different that I'd be amazed if they sounded the same via BT and wired.

There's a completely different codec and compression in use when using BT, and the magic cannot be the same.

Bose IMO does a great job with the SoundSport Wireless for example to mitigate the deficiencies in the BT codec. With the QC35 to me they don't sound that great while over BT, but they're still OK.
However when you plug in the wire that's a completely different story.

I love being able to enjoy them in the office with the wire, and then unplug the wire and continue using the same pair of headphones with the ANC and a decent sound quality (compared to the wire) on the train to my home.
juanmasg
Contributor
Registered since

May 28, 2017

> Bose say when using it wired the sound isn't as good.

Just curious @powerslave , where does Bose state that?
powerslave
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

Bose say that when used in wired mode the active eq isn't enabled thus there is a reduction in sound quality.

I connected my 35's up to the wire and there is a reduction in sound quality.

You can find Bose saying this themselves on various places for the qc35's.

It's no secret they are open about it.

Ian